Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Jun 1998 14:41:05 EDT
From:         GMBulley@AOL.COM
Subject:      Quality of list discussion is great! was: was Rear Drum
Comments: To: davidb@SKYBEST.COM, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

In a message dated 98-06-10 19:20:30 EDT, davidb@SKYBEST.COM writes:

<< I share in Eric's frustration!

The quality of the discussions as reflected in the repetitiveness of the questions has deteriorated. There must be a way to improve the discussion level. I suggest that we find a way to encourage people to do a little research (reading) before the waste the band width and fill up space with such wonderful questions as:

* What tires are best? * Do they make headers for waterboxers? * How do I remove brake shoes? * I have a rough idle? * Gas mileage is down, what's the problem? >>

Bulley Weighs in--

David & Eric:

Fellas--no one likes complainers. The best cure for any problem is to do something about it.

This list is not a static environment where people spout knowledge for personal consumption. This is a learning environment. New members join or visit daily and they have questions we may have heard before. Not everyone knows the latest scoop on the best tires, or how to change their brake pads. There are absolutely no stupid questions here.

Most of us recall the "not-so-long-ago" that we were asking about tires or rough idle questions. The courteous replies of those more learned helped us through a lot of head-scratching. What feeling would it have created if they had said "we've already answered those questions, ask us something new!"

I would like to suggest, if you have all of the straight scoop on repairs, that you help those folks in need by sharing your knowledge and opinions. Answer those questions you have seen 200 times. It's great knowing you helped someone.

If your brain housing groups are truely saturated with the discussions here, sign off for a while: (I don't mean forever, just for a short while). In the time you would normally spend on the list, do some research. Check out books from the library, call VWoA, hang out at a VW shop: whatever. Then bring back your new ideas and information to the list. This will revitalize you, and improve the discussions you are dissappointed with.

best wishes for improved outlook and discussions,

gmbulley cary, nc