Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Jun 1998 16:52:59 -0400
From:         Lawrence Johnson <ljohnson@HALHINET.ON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Battery venting, etc.
Comments: To: John Koloen <jkoloen@EARTHLINK.NET>,
          Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@vanagon.com>

John Koloen wrote:

> <snip>I'm planning to install an auxiliary battery, though maybe not under > the > driver's seat since I can't find a deep-discharge battery that will fit. > (I'm still looking.) Is there a need for venting to the outside if I > install it, say, under the rear bench seat?<snip>

Conventional batteries give off hydrogen gas. This gas can be explosive. Do not risk locating a conventional battery without venting to the outside.

Gel cell batteries are probably safe as long as they are not overcharged (overcharging causes gel cell batteries to give off hydrogen gas).

The Optima battery (yellow top) is probably your safest choice. All it gives off are electrons and long service. If you remove (saw off) the metal tab from the top/front of the battery box behind the driver's seat, then the Optima D750S (or D750U) Deep Cycle Battery (Yellow Top) will fit on its side within the battery box. This battery can be mounted in any orientation with no adverse affect.

> Also, I'd like to know the size wire I should use to connect the auxiliary > battery positive to the starter battery battery.<snip>

The wire size depends upon the continuous current that will be drawn (the bigger the safer). Add up all of your 12v service requirements and select the appropriate wire. Add a fuse to protect your van and family.

Larry '86 Syncro Westfalia with Optima D750U