Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jun 1998 10:37:26 -0700
From:         t bill <tbil@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Canoe hauling, interesting figures,etc
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Put a canoe on top of my 83.5 Westy and left Ft. Worth for a 230 mi drive to San Marcos river. Began speculating what having the canoe on top would do for milage.

First, I do not advise my ususal milage enhancing method, ie, following trucks. The buffeting is much increased, and I do not trust my crude roof rack and tie downs.

2nd, kept MPH under 70. But we did have a tail wind which helped.

Hit a nasty rain cell, flooded the interstate, had to drop down to 30 MPH when the hail started. No damage, whew.

Then crawled thru Austin rush hour, speed from 0 to 20 for most of an hour. Temp goes 3/4 up the gauge 'till the high speed fan comes on.

So, all and all, I figure I'm going to get something less than my usual 18.5 to 19 MPG on a trip like this, 17 would not surprize me. Surprize! MPG= 21!!!

Go figure.

On the way home had a fairly stiff crosswind and that reduced MPG down to 19, still on the high side. Which got me to wondering; why does a cross wind seem to rock the Westy more when you are moving down the road at 65 than when you are sitting still?

Other maybe relavant data: Running with timing advanced to just before it becomes hard to start. (10-11 degrees I think) Seems to help highway performance. Ran very nicely, even the 'frig stayed lit the whole trip. Oh yeah, we had a cold front come thru which meant I didn't have to use the AC, which probably help by 1 mpg. And it's an Automatic.

So, I pleasantly surprized. Ideas? Any wind tunnel experts out there?