Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jun 1998 15:27:09 -0700
From:         Katherine Lee <katherine@DNA.BC.CA>
Subject:      Advice on 87 Syncro Westfalia FS?
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I'm about to go look at an 87 Syncro Westfalia, w/ a/c, pw, pdl, foglights and 6-disc CD. It also comes with 4 extra snow tires (I'm assuming on rims), a Yakima roof rack that attaches to the gutters and a "space case" (which the current owner claims are about a $2000 addition ... but since I'm not bent on having the racks & case, he is willing to keep them and knock down the price).

The ad says that the van now has 115,000 km on it, and he tells me that the original engine had about 112,000 km on it (67,100 mi approx.) before it was replaced 2 weeks ago with a brand new engine, at a cost of $5000 (CDN).

Other "new" stuff: Rebuilt locking differential Rebuilt Syncro vacuum valve New clutch (was put in with the new engine) New propane tank

The previous engine had an oil pressure problem, and eventually developed a cracked block, which is why he says he had to spring for a new engine.

Also, and this is a BIG also, IMO ... the van is not native to BC, but was originally a Richmond, ON, vehicle. I can't remember where Richmond is in relation to Toronto, but I DO know that out east, vehicles tend to get eaten through by salt on the roads. That, combined with the Westafalia fanaticism on the West Coast ;-) is why these vans seem to carry a much higher price tag around here.

His asking price is $18,999 (CDN).

I'm definitely going to ask if I can see his receipts, and phone his mechanic about all the work he's claiming to have had done. Aside from having this vehicle inspected by a qualified VW mechanic, what else should I look for? I think that getting a van with a new engine would be keeno, but in your opinion, might this be a lemon, since it's needed so much work so soon? And if this seems to be a solid van otherwise, how much do you think I should pay for it? Any and all advice appreciated!

Katherine Lee