Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jun 1998 22:32:27 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <drew@INTERPORT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Syncro Suspension
Comments: To: David Marshall <vanagon@volkswagen.org>
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

At 05:18 PM 6/8/98 -0700, you wrote: >Derek, > >It seems you have had you Syncro suspension apart aa few times now. I am >running two donuts in the rear. Are yours all on top or one on top and one >on the bottom?

I have three extra ones together with the factory original one so I have four total on top in the rear. I have been driving like this for, like, five years now an never had a hint of a problem doing it so it is a no brainer.

>I have a question about the front suspension. Is the spring perch >removeable like it is on a Golf or a Rabbit? If it is then it is very easy

I don't think it is removeable but I am not sure.

>to raise the front end with some thick walled pipe that has the same ID as >the OD of the pipe. > >I was talking to a fellow in Vancouver who has a Syncro and he lifted his >about 2.0". I questioned this because of the lack of travel in the CV >joints and he told me he used Audi 5000 Turbo CVs as they have extra travel >and they are the same size as the 16" Syncros in Europe... any thoughts on >this?

Sounds very advanced and very smart. Very interesting to hear about this. I think we have CVs in size 90 but there is a 100 size in the european microfiche I have so I'd be interested in that.

>Anyhow. I want to get the front of my Syncro up about 1" so I have 30cm as >my lowest point with my 225/60 16" tires... Any help you can give would be >great!

I will be doing this soon, possibly with the help of John Anderson if we both have time. I think the issue about increasing the angle of the CVs is a serious and valid concerns. See the archives for posts from derekdrew@aol.com or drew@interport.net for much more information on this important issue.