Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jun 1998 20:14:56 -0700
From:         Randolph Feuerriegel <RFeuerriegel@BC.SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      [Fwd: Re: 88 Syncro; erratic idle, missing, vibrations...
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

CanineWolf@aol.com wrote: > > Please tell me if you figure out what it is, sometimes my van has these > problems and I cannot figureout what it is. Especially the wanting to stay > running when you shut if off problem..it kinda stutters as it shuts off. > Thanks > > Tim G > 87 gl syncro(166k)

Took the van in to a VW service today to get another look at possible causes of erratic idle, missing, shudders, etc. I have noticed on long hwy trips the the engine runs great for awhile, then poorly as in missing. Changes like flicking a switch. Off and on.

Anyway, they set #1 cyl. at TDC, popped of the valve covers to have a look at how the valves release. Not so good. #2 & #4 exhaust valves don't pop back. Need to pry the rockers a few times to get them to move. The rest of the valves are fair to good. The technician was of the opinion that there is alot of carbon back there and probably down the shaft, or damaged valve guides. The latter less likely being 2 of them. This would make the valves float occaissionally. Hence the miss. Also checked the tail pipe for pressure. A quick snap of the throttle showed strong pressure. Pressure decreased considerably while holding high rpm's in neutral.

My question to the list. Has anyone succeeded in removing carbon like this short of taking off the heads ? To date I have done one decarbonizing by having the fluid sucked in by way of throttle. Had the crankcase purged (flushed). A 1 hour process. And lastly I have put 1 can of techron thru via the gas tank. Any thoughts on this ?

Thanks. R.Feuerriegel Victoria BC

[message/rfc822]