Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jun 1998 22:52:41 -0700
From:         marcus <marcus46@FREEWWWEB.COM>
Subject:      Re: It's not my fault.
Comments: To: Bill <Bill@FREEHOLDER.COM>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Bill it takes a special kind of person to admit error and for the sake of the group help them to avoid the same.You need pep talk from Uncle Joel.I gave him mine a couple of weeks ago and now it's time to share this with the group. See attached and pls read word for word and maybe a few more times.If you never work on your Vanagon just delete.

Murphy Law at work

A few months ago I had a

noise

coming from the rear and I knew this noise as I have had it in the past.

Wheel

bearing no doubt about it,so I go and get the bearing set and seals for

one wheel.

A month or so past as I'm thinking about doing this job myself. I'm not

driving the

van much as the noise is really loud. Ok now which wheel is it? So I

have my wife

in the rear seat and ask her where is the sound coming from. She says

under the

seat in the middle, I say what I don't believe that, She says ok let me

drive and

you listen. And I also hear it coming from the middle and under seat.Dam

thats the

trans I had rebuild 4 years ago for $1100.00. So another month goes by.

My brother

comes over and I remove the right tire and drum. My logic was this I had

the other

side done about 3 years ago. We inspect the the hub area and find what

appears to

be grease brake down(leak) That it . Its this wheel. I got cold feet

about doing

the job, So I took it to my local Billy Bob.Small town.I told which

bearing to

replace and they did. After the job, they drove it and it had the same

noise. I

kept the old bearing and that should give you a hint where this is

going. The guys

said it had to be the trans.Oh well what ever. I called the guy who I

trusted on

the trans.Explained what the deal was and told him it even made noise in

nutral and

he said sounds like main bearing in trans and the job was $350.00. I

told him I

didn't think I could drive the 44 miles to his shop. No he said $350 if

I took just

the trans to him. Otherwise another $100 to pull it and another $100 to

install it.

Ok not a big deal as I have done this befor that is pull out the trans.

Befor I go

any farther, the trans thing could have been stop at the beginning. If I

had told

him that the noise was only there if I was moving. He thought when I said

I could

hear the noise in nutral that I was at a dead stop. I found out later.

OK back to

the confession. I remove all those things to pull the trans. Go to pull

it and it

hang up.I look and can't see what the problem is. So I pull harder

thinking it's

stuck in the clutch spline. and it comes out along with throttle line. I

forgot to

remove. and didn't see cause it was mounted on top of the trans. while

the trans

was hanging up on the throttle line the end was being scratch on the

pressure

plate. I now take the trans for the guy to fix. That ends the dumb story,

now for

the dumber. Few days later he calls and says the trans is ok,problem

must be

somwhere else. I go and pick it up. He said he went completely thru it

and it's

fine but he had to remove the scratchs on the shaft and told me to check

pilot

bearing. He charged me $120. On the way home I got a new pilot bearing

for $3 wow.

I check the old pilot bearing looks good to me but what the heck I

already have a

new one and all I have to do is pull the fly wheel, no big deal, right?

I got a new

10mm hex and tried to remove the bolts with my small impact wrench and

they won't

give. So what would Tim Allen do, buy a bigger impact wrench. So I did

and they

still won't give except two. So I call the trans man and he says to hit

them real

hard with a hammer. Ok that worked. Now I can really see the bearing up

close.

Still looks good but I do have that new $3 one. Checked around for a

puller none to be found in this

small town. So someone said he just took a chisel to it, and so I did.

About

3Hours later the old was out and the new was in.Now things are good

right?? put the

fly wheel on clutch in and tighten pressure plate with my plastic spline

in place.

Oh things are good. Then I find I can't turn fly wheel by hand, hum must

be on

compression stroke right? My son and I put the trans back in and I

connect

everything back together. Try to start it up but starter won't turn the

fly wheel

What the hell is wrong here. I pull on the belts motor won't move even

an inch. So

I call my trans man and he says maybe a washer or a rock got stuck to

the fly wheel

when I laid it down. Well I not that stupid to lay the fly wheel down on

the side

that goes into the main oil seal, but what the heck. I remove all those

things to

remove the trans. This is where I shorted the starter red wire to frame.

Oh well

probably need new starter but will deal with that later. Got trans out

and all the

other things. Checked with my finger behine the main seal, hum

something doesn't

feel right but I can't really tell what it is. I put the fly wheel on

but befor I

tighten the hex bolts I was able to turn the motor and after I tighten

them, no go.

Fly wheel won't move.That it I quit this van goes to the trans man.But

of course I

had to put trans in to transport. Called wrecker and paid $72. Hey Joel

wake up

and pass the popcorn. Ok no need to put everything back together so put

in van

along with old wheel bearing. Week later Trans man calls and says van is

ready.

Bill was $ 350 and here is what he found. He had to remove the main seal

and three

shims. Behine these shims is a thick washer that has a slot cut out of

it, which

fits in a groove on the crank. Well remember he told me to hit the hex

bolts with

hammer? This some how make the spring that holds this washer in place to

shift and

the washer wasn't in the groove. So when I had tighten the hex bolts on

fly wheel

it locked the crank up. And yes the left wheel bearing was bad. He took

the old one

from the right and put in the left. Now to the fire and then the end of

this story.

With my head down low I paid my bill and drove off.Hum guess I didn't

burn up my

starter after all. It's 4pm and traffic is heavy not LA heavy but heavy.

Van is

runing good but about 4 miles it act like it wants quit. I'm in the left

lane and

nobody will let me over to the right OH Jesus I need you now. I go about

3 more

miles and the van stops with smoke coming from the engine compartment. I

open hatch

and slowly open motor cover and see a fire. At that moment I thought

this van is

gone and it may take out a few other cars. I had to put this fire out.

It didn't

look like a gas fire, so I removed my shirt and put the fire out. Then a

Saint

stopped and helped me to get the van on the right side of the road. Boy

was I

lonely ,Hundreds of cars passing me by. I did a close inspection of the

fire damage

and notice that the wiring harness to the fuel injector did a complete

melt down

and the fire was fuel by old oil on the padded license plate. I also saw

that the

coil wire was melted to the harness. Ok thats what cause it right??

Called wecker

and paid $75 to get it home. Well thats when you guys come into the

picture. I get

on the internet and find a new friend Kyle Wade, who has a harness I

need. He tell

me about Vanagon.com. For $162 I get the harness from Kyle in Calf. In a

couple of

hours it in and the van runs good. But this harness get a little to hot

I think.But

I don't normally go around and touch my harness. OK thats the end so far

of this

story. Murphy law at it's highest peak.

I hope this true story can help someone in the future I paid the dues maybe I can save you from the dues. Who knows.