Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jun 1998 19:52:33 -0700
From:         Bill <Bill@FREEHOLDER.COM>
Subject:      It's not my fault.
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

I prefer to face life with the philosophy that it's not my fault, and that's why I need some help from my fellow list members.

A week or so ago, I reported a noise coming from the driver's side rear. I assumed that it must be the wheel bearings, since I replaced the CV joints on that side in December, and they have only about 7000 miles on them. I didn't feel like doing the bearings myself because the manuals made it sound like a fair sized job, so I took the vehicle to a mechanic -- Chircos in Tucson.

They discovered that it was not the wheel bearings. It was one of the CV joints. What they were unable to discover was any grease whatsoever in the CV joint that failed. It was clean and dry. Since I replaced them in December, it would appear that I forgot to grease one of them. That would be my fault. Please refer to the subject line of this message. Read it a couple of times if necessary.

It's obvious that some external (possibly diabolical) agent somehow removed the grease from one of my CV joints, causing it to fail. I have, however, been unable to find any external agent to pin it on. As a result, the situation gives the false impression that it may have been my fault, which, having read the subject line, you now know to be impossible.

I got the CV joint from Ron, at the Bus Depot, and the boot, bolts, and grease from Jim at Old Volk's Home. Perhaps the fault lies with one of them. I don't see just how, but I'm grasping at straws here.

If you can think of any reasons why it isn't my fault, please let me know right away. Otherwise I may be left with the conclusion that I paid a stupid tax of $55 labor (I had another CV joint already).

Thanks,

Bill (SE Arizona) (Bill@freeholder.com) HTTP://www.freeholder.com ---------------------------------------------------------- You can't do everything, but you can do something. You can't help everyone, but you can help someone. Even one candle helps to push back the darkness.