Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:22:55 +0100
From:         "Woodcock, Frank" <f.woodcock@UNISON.CO.UK>
Subject:      Fixing Campervan Awning
Comments: To: Caravan Message Forum <caravan@rscom.com>

I have now solved the problem of securing the awning to my Volkswagen Holdsworth Villa Campervan AKA Pooh - at http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~mpages/

We were at the recent Motor caravan show at Stratford (UK) and spoke to Charles of Charles and son, Poole who said that I needed a J channel (strip). He did not have one at the show but said that he could get one for the following day. I was pleased that he could get it as I had tried several suppliers over the last month without success

True to his word, the white plastic covered 6 foot J channel was there the following day, having been collected by his son overnight, some 300 mile round trip. At 20 pounds sterling, it was a bargain.

How securing awnings normally works:- The normal method to secure an awning to a campervan is to use a plastic awning clip shaped H ( more a rounded figure of eight with gaps at the top and bottom of the eight)

The awning rope slides into the top of the awning clip H which holds the rope in place and the bottom of the awning clip H clips over the campervan guttering.

The problem:-

The problem with fixing awning clips to some campervans like Pooh, is that the elevated roof also sits in the guttering so there is not enough depth for the bottom of the awning clip H to clip into guttering. The awning clip would hold for a while but would soon pop out if knocked.

The Fix:- The J channel cross section looks like J (with straight edges) the upright of the J is about one inch tall and is glued and screwed onto the elevated roof with the bottom of the J resting in the gutter.

This in effect makes a new six foot gutter on top of the old one with a half inch upright for the H to clip into.

The 'drawing' below shows an exploded sideways view how it all fits together (squeeze the lines below together for how it really looks)

0 Awning Rope fits into the H Plastic 'figure of eight' which clips over the J New J channel which is fixed to the elevated roof, resting on the J Old Guttering.

I will take some pictures next time we are away in July to show it 'working' more clearly.