Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Jun 1998 16:49:03 -0400
From:         Mark Hudgik <mhudgik@THE-SPA.COM>
Subject:      Exhaust system discrepencies
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

All,

Ok, I have all the main exhaust components to completely replace my 91 van's exhaust system... from the heads to the end pipe... and now comes the confusion. <g>

What "gaskets" and bolts/washers do I need to attach the pipe that runs between the 2-into-1 "manifold" and the catalytic converter?

Easy you say....check your Bentley! Well I did and here is where the confusion comes in:

1. The Bentley shows a beveled "donut" type gasket on one end and a flat gasket on the other. The "donut" gasket end of the pipe is attached with diaphragm spring washers and bolts.

2. My original installation has a "donut" gasket on EACH end of this pipe, but no diaphragm spring washers. Did the dealer who replaced my engine last year forget to install the washers?

3. The Bus Depot exhaust system "package" comes with flat gaskets for these flanges.

----------------------------------------------------- My conclusion: Obtain and use the "donut" style gaskets on both ends. Mount this pipe using diaphragm spring washers on both ends. This has to be pretty close to the solution due to the following:

The 2-into-1 manifold and pipe end are "beveled".

My original pipe without diaphragm spring washers is developing cracks at each flange end.

Only "fly in ointment": Pipe end to cat. is "beveled", cat converter flange isn't. -----------------------------------------------------

So what am I missing???...besides a catalytic converter with a "beveled" flange? ;-)

Thanx in advance...

Mark **91 Carat**