Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:43:40 -0400
From:         ervolina@US.IBM.COM
Subject:      Overhead clearance (was:Thule roof rack for GL (non-poptop))
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com
Comments: cc: bloss@ENTER.NET

Karl Bloss wrote:

> ... >One concern I would have with a rooftop bike rack is the clearance. >I don't want to be flying down the road and smack my bikes into an >overpass and peel back the roof like a sardine can. Anyone have >experience with this w.r.t. height and typical clearances?

Our typical (87 non-poptop) roof configuration is a canoe, two road bikes, one mountain bike, and a kiddie bike with training wheels. All this on a 75" Yakima that's probably very similar to your Thule. The total height is about 9.5 feet. I haven't hit anything yet, but it sure gets the heart rate up when you see a sign saying -- Clearance 6' 9" Yowza!!

I live in southern NY where there's lots of Parkways (no commercial traffic) with low clearance. These are typically very old roads that are narrow and have low bridges. Modernization is slowly fixing them. The 6' 9" stated is the lowest I've seen and it's on one of the clover-leaf entrances to the Southern State Parkway on Long Island. I tried calling around to find out, for a given route, what's the minimum clearance. But I couldn't find a definitive source. One guy (forgot what dept it was) told me "I didn't tell you this, but we get our 12' trucks through the entire span of the Southern State Pkwy".

So here's the catch ... the low clearances almost always occur with arched bridges and the minimum is typically at either the right edge of the right lane, or, further to the right on the shoulder. I'm not sure which. As you cruise along and approach a low clearance bridge, get to the left where the clearance is higher. You can also minimize risk by keeping the high stuff (ie, bikes) on the left (driver's) side.

This all can make for some serious paranoia, but its not that bad, really. Long Island parkways are the worst since there's overpasses every 200 yards (or so it seems). The Westchester, NY Parkways are better. I've done the entire span of the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey, and the Taconic State Parkway in NY. Other than that, anywhere that commercial traffic can go, you can go without worry (exceptions will be ominously posted).

The other case is cruising around backroads to get to trailheads, camping spots, and the like. Expect to do some light tree trimming.

Tom Ervolina Enterprise Solutions Research IBM Yorktown Heights, NY ervolina@us.ibm.com