Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:00:07 +0200
From:         James Cohen <jscohen@SPRYNET.COM>
Subject:      SA report(Vanagon Info...good stuff!)Longish
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Hi All,

This trip to South Africa has been very educational. They've done some interesting things with their vans.

I've sent about a dozen digital pics to several listees who volunteered to put them on a webpage, I hope they can get to it this weekend. Thanks to Tim (mcdermot@li.net), Jeff(jeff@electroponics.com) and Chip (Shaner@fament.com). I'm sure they'll post their page addresses to the list when they're ready. (if not, well, you have their addresses ;) )

Pics sent were of quad grilles, oddities of the interiors, cool Alloy Wheel, large sliding window, and the engine compartment of a 2.3l 5 cyl audi engine.

My biggest surprise came when I noticed what they did with the exhaust on Audis. They ran the exhaust FORWARD about 4 feet, attached the muffler to the left side of underbody, just below the front of the sliding door (RHD) where the propane tank is located on our westies, and then routed the pipe straight back and the tail pipe is on the left side of the rear! There is also a small resonator muffler that the tail pipe is attached to. An absolutely amazing feat of engineering!

And btw, these engines are absolutely silent!

They also use an ingenious engine carrier that I don't think is located in the same place as the WB, and this carrier has two engine mounts for the Audi engine (similar to the golf mounts).

"Bull Bars" These are VERY well made and sturdy brush bashers. The attach around the front bumper to the frame in two vertical bars which end at the bottom of the top grille. There is then an elliptical loop of pipe which extents to the top of the grille, and out around the headlights.

These look like you could bounce deer off them all Night! And bash NYC taxis all day!! ;)

I'll get a pic of these next week, and find out the prices...get your orders to me soon!!

Engines After I talked to a couple of dealers their vanagons (NOT called vanagons or vans, but Combis) came with the 1.9 and 2.1 WBs. Then 1800 golf engine (not sure which, probably the 91hp). This engine was apparnetly NOT an improvement in power over the 2.1, and may have actually suffered from not enough torque. I was warned to not bother with that as a swap.

Next came a 2.2 Audi, then 2.3,then 2.5. This fall they get a 2.6 and a V6 (I could not determine if that was going to be a VR6...salesman was unclear himself).

They never had diesels

Engine Compartments The decks are raised up about 4 inches by what looks like a one piece plastic cover which covers the whole rear "well". The opening to the engine is about 50% larger than on the WB, and the metal lid has hinges and is not easily removable. It also has a rod to prop up the lid! Since the opening does not cover the whole deck, there are indentations (cubby holes?)on either side for storing stuff in. The carpet covers the whole lid.

They also have a BEAUTIFUL cover for the bottom of the engine. This sturdy plastic which covers the entire rear half of the engine. There are slats so the engine can breath,and water can drain out. It seems to mainly protect the myriad belts in the rear.

Transmissions

5speeds are indeed available, but I don't think they're worth it. I talked to a Gearbox remanufacturer and used-trans dealer, and he said they didn't hold up. First gear is so low and in such an inconvienient place that most people started up in 2nd and rode the clutch. Gears 1-4 are so close, that they're almost redundant. 5th is the same as our 4th. And, they don't seem to last as long as the 4 gear boxes.

This was enough to talk me out of buying one. I hate the "hole" between 3rd and 4th, but it doesn't sound like this will take care of the problem.

Also, they come with a bellhousing to fit an Audi, not a golf or WB. A bellhousing here for a Golf will cost as much as the whole trans!

[I neglected to bring the gear ratios out of the Bently, I would appreciate it if someone could send them to me at jscohen@aol.com]

Synchros Discontinued here a few years ago.

Books So far the only ones I've seen was one from the UK (I forgot the name...it's 2:30am here)but we can get them back home, and they SUCK.

Quad Grilles

There are two different types: old and new. The old look a bit like the late A2 Gti and cabrio quads. These are VERY expensive. The new ones have a solid piece of plastic between the each pair of lights and look better. These are the ones I took pix of.

They also have a cool looking new lower grille which extends all the way across the front of the car.

Shopping:

I'm going to do some serious shopping for parts especially for what will make my 2.0 conversion easier. I'll find out prices on all juicy parts, and will be happy to have serious discussions with anyone who wants parts.

And, btw, they have the rectangular H4 lights here. I haven't found out the prices yet, but I'll bet they'll be about what we pay for our lousy DOT-SAE lights.

Next Week I'm leaving in 2 hours to go to one of the national parks to go Wildlife viewing. Yes, that means no sleep for me tonight!

I won't have access to email till Tuesday..I'm not sure how the hell I'm going to surrvive!! So I won't be able to answer any questions until then.

I've arranged with a VERY cooperative salesman to get better pics of the 2.5 engine (the ones I took today were very dark) and he's going to put the Van on a lift so I can snap shots from underneath!

I'll also get pics of the Bull Bars.

Any questions etc. please also cc: them to jscohen@aol.com