Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Jun 1998 13:11:08 -0400
From:         Don Gibbons <dgibbons@PRESRAY.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil change intervals
Comments: To: Sorin Bejenaru <CaliforniaCampers@COMPUSERVE.COM>,
          Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I have always (since 82) used synthetic oil. 5,000 mile oil & filter changes are what I plan on. All of my engines last at least 100,000 miles on my usage, and few had low miles when I got them. On a new Rabbit I drove for 190,000 miles I never had any engine problems, let alone oil related. on it. Never even had to adjust the valves. After the car rusted out I put the engine in a diesel vanagon for another 20,000 miles before selling it.

Even at 5k miles I do not feel bad if I miss by 1k or so because of money or weather. But I do drive almost all long trips of at least 50 miles round trip. Not too much city and few short trips. Warm up for a reasonable time & don't push it when cold.

For this type of driving 3,000 mile oil changes are just a waste of money and resources.

Pawling NY

Cars I have: 93 Eurovan MV (new to me at 70k, 110k and counting) 75 Westy (new to me at 78k, now rebuilding)

73 Super (new to me at ?. 20k and counting)

Cars I had: 89 GTi 16v (drove from 30k to 70k) 87 Syncro (drove from 90k to 205k) 83 Rabbit GTi (drove from 0 - 190k) 82 Vanagon Diesel (w 83 GTi engine, 190k-210k)