Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Jun 1998 13:08:06 +0200
From:         James Cohen <jscohen@SPRYNET.COM>
Subject:      SA Report PartII (short)
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

IMPORTANT NOTE: I need a favor ASAP. As a favor to a VW salesman, I need a printable version (text, not a scan) of the Consumer Reports article on the '98 VW Passat. They loved it, and apparently, the South African haven't heard about it. So, if anyone happens to have it please send it to me...thanks. ---------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all,

I just got back from the Bush. I was VERY lucky and saw a plethora of animals. More importantly, I saw a plethora of Vanagons! (It's just a giraffe, but did you see the Bull Bars on that Vanagon?)

Pics

Now on the websites of Chip and Jeff. THANK YOU to both of them, good job! Chip's page ( http://www.fament.com/chip/vanagon/savan.html ) has all the pics in full size and includes my comments so that you know what you're looking at (some of the pics are not really clear). Jeff ( http://www2.electroponics.com/savanagon/savanagon_1of1.html ) has them in thumbnail which can then be blown up...but without my comments. I don't know if he can add them at some point or not.

New pics that I will send them tonight or tomorrow show 2 different types of Bull Bars (Brush Guards) plus another style (old) of quad lights.

Bull Bars

There is a lot of interest on the list about these. There are two main types on Vanagons. One is less noticable and also less protective and probably more aerodynamic. The other is larger. The smaller one comes up to the bottom of the grille, the larger to the top. I saw a van with the smaller type with a large dent just over the top of the grille about the size of somethings head! To it's credit though the bar showed no sign of damage (of course, the bar might have been put on AFTER the incident).

Next Report

Tomorrow or Fri should be interesting days. I will be getting a chance to take pics of the 2.5l van in better light so you'll be able to really see what is going on in the engine compartment. I'll also be able to take shots from UNDERNEATH!!! YEAH!! Including the nifty exhaust system they've worked out.

I'll try and find out the HP, Torque, and milage specs for the 2.3 and 2.5 engine.

I will also have prices for Bull Bars, H-4 lights, exhausts, etc. It seems that anything they make here is pretty cheap, so I'm hoping the prices are good!

One of the overlooked benefits of all this info is the availability of FACTORY parts and plans for conversions to other engines. I can't believe how valuable this info is (for me at least).

That's all for now. More tomorrow.

James James Cohen Presently in South Africa. Please cc: all email to my alternate address at: jscohen@aol.com