Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Jun 1998 16:42:30 -0700
From:         Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need help. Stuck in Yosemite
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM, CaliforniaCampers@COMPUSERVE.COM

Well, I went up to the campground, spent a few minutes and replaced all three belts. The A/C belt *might* have been OK, but the alternator belt was gone, and the PS belt had eaten some belt shards and was twisted and damaged.

The folks were really nice. Irish couple from Waterford, with two wee bairns -- maybe 1 and 2 years old.

Yosemite is a wonderful place, but as many of you have probably heard, this is not the week to visit. There are four roads into the park -- today three of them are out of commission (including the one they were on, and the one I am on). I had a nice scenic drive through places like Coulterville (where the High School managed a senior class of *1*) and Greeley Hill (whose High School student(s) all attend Coulterville High).

I took the three kids and dog in the doublecab, and we made a day of it, going to see Hetch Hetchy since we were in the area. I told the Irish folks they should go, too -- only a few miles and the get to see another of the high waterfalls. They are still going to try to get into Yosemite Valley, I think, but they are in for a long drive -- the mountains are unforgiving for detours.

If you get a chance to visit Yosemite in the next few weeks, go for it. The snowpack is one of the highest on record and it is very warm out -- the snow is melting fast, the waterfalls are the best ever and the wildflowers are the best ever. Even Hetch Hetchy looked good, although the water level (it is a "second Yosemite -- but filled with a reservoir) is still low. It is that the dam will overflow in about two weeks -- it has risen 100 feet in the last few weeks and has avbout 50 feet left. The water is being released as fast as they can, but the two big waterfalls are pumping way more in. They are very impressive this year. The trip was worth it -- did my good deed and got a very nice drive out of it to boot. I took the dog along. She gets more attention than the shiny Syncro Doublecab -- and she *needs* a bath (today was supposed to be bath day -- a *major* chore on a full-coated Komondor).

The wildflowers were great, weather is perfect, and the folks are on their way with only a short delay. I hope the belts last.

Sorin: The waterpump *looked* OK, but you might want to have it replaced anyway -- there was some small amount of play in the shaft. Hopefully it will last the remainder of the trip. I replaced three belts -- even though only two needed it. I'll send you the bill (it was about $30). I'll think of some favor to hit you up for -- like a bargain price on one of your theater seats...

Malcolm