Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Jun 1998 09:55:08 -0700
From:         Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO>
Subject:      Re: Per Lindgren, Syncronaut!! (was: Syncro starter)
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

SyncroHead@aol.com wrote: > > In a message dated 98-06-17 08:31:09 EDT, you write: > > > The starter in my 88 Caravelle Syncro has given up after 106000 miles. > > The car has the normal 2,1 liter engine, with 112 hp. As you already > > know, the wreckyards are not flowing over with syncros. > > Does anybody know if I can use the starter from a rwd vanagon, a > > diesel/turbodiesel, 4-speed, 5-speed or even a beetle or golf/jetta? Any > > hints would be grateful, rebuilt starters are quite expensive over > > here(Norway) > > > > Per Lindgren > > 88 caravelle syncro camper > > Per, > Nice to meet you! I don't have an answer to your starter question, but I > enjoy meeting fellow Syncroauts on the internet. I've "met" over 270 of us so > far! > Only one other from Norway though, Tore Vefferstad. > What city/town do you live in/near? > > Im near Los Angeles, California, USA. > > Good luck with your starter. > > Regards, > Jim Davis > 87 Vanagon GL Syncro > 88 Vanagon GL Wolfsburg Limited Edition

Im glad to hear that you are interested in my Syncro. The car's official name is Volkswagen Caravelle C Syncro, it is a camper conversion (no westy) made by a norwegian company called Trufa. It seats 5, but only sleeps 2. The car has the familiar 2.1 engine, but it is without any catalytic converter, so its output is 112hp. It has a locker in the back diff, and I will/am going to install one up front too.(it has bad traction when I am standing on two wheels) Unfortenately, the car has no amenities like P-steering, ac, P-windows, P-locks or P-mirrors(these things are rare in Norway except for the steering) I live in a town called Arendal, on the southern coast of Norway(about 160 miles SW of Oslo) I also have a 73 square and a 68 bug. I recently had an Audi 4000 quattro, which was a blast to drive, but it just wasnt a VW!