Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Jun 1998 08:40:14 -0400
From:         "W. Silva" <wsilva@CAPECOD.NET>
Subject:      Need Dometic Diagnois-please
Comments: To: vw <vanagon@vanagon.com>

I realize fridge questions tend to be repetitive but the camping season is here and we need it to work.

We have pulled it out ('85 Westy) cleaned it, blown out the combustion area, had it bench checked on a/c, propane and d/c at our local RV dealer, have talked to Dometic a number of times but still have the same problem. The fridge will go down to 27 degrees F. at night but during the day will climb with the outside temperature which I would expect. The fan is going on and off I am told-properly. Here is the problem.. When running on propane WHILE DRIVING (sorry for shouting, but this is the improtant part) it will loose about a half a degree every 15-20 minutes or so. We keep a digital readout probe in the fridge so we can monitor it without opening the door. Dometic suggested that the door gasket should be replaced but when we called for the part, Dometic no longer makes one for it and there is no easy replacement. I have noticed quite a bit of play in the door itself, maybe 1/4"-3/8". There is no adjustment on the striker plate to tighten the door but it looks like if the front panel of the fridge can be removed, it could be shimmed out, tightening the door, am I correct? Also, the little (usless) sight hole in the interior bottom left corner, is it supposed to have a plastic or glass thing in the hole? Ours is just a hole, would this have anything to do with it. Would putting some of that reflective insulation against the outside wall of the van behind the fridge help? Any suggestions are welcomed as I really want this thing to work right as it used to.

Wendy & John Cape Cod, MA

'85 Westy, "S-CAPE" LiMBO members