Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Jun 1998 22:42:32 -0500
From:         "Philip R. Hanlon" <prhanlon@DIBBS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Drain/fill coolant loop w/o burping
Comments: To: DELGADOAJJ@aol.com
Comments: cc: Vanagon List <vanagon@gerry.sdsc.edu>

Dear Jorge,

Expose engine, find platic pressure tank. This has a pressure cap with a small line running to the overflow talk, the one you fill through the license plate opening. It also has a larger (short) hose entering high, from the coolant loop that runs around (just under) the lip of the engine compartment. Last, the largest hose from the plastic tank leaves low and runs to the "water" pump. On a cold engine, take the pressure cap off. Check coolant with hygrometer, if desired. Loose hose clamp and remove upper hose from plastic tank. Coolant will escape by gravity. Loose the clamp from the other end of this hose temporarily, so that you can direct it to a reservoir of your choice. I simply pushed a 3/4" PVC pipe through the license plate opening and directed the hose into it. You could put it into a slightly larger hose, if you had one. Then, fire her up. Coolant will slowly run out of the PVC pipe (or other hose) into the external reservoir. I used 5 gallon plastic trash bins. Just keep adding water. If you add too much, too quickly, it will just run out of the top connection, where the hose that you're porting to the reservoir, used to connect. Once the thermostat opens, the effluent will get pretty hot. My PVC pipe warped noticeably, but did fine. Using a hose, with tap water, makes rinsing out all of the old coolant easier. During the summer, the tap water should be warm enough. Really cold water wouldn't be good for a warm engine block. After about 10-12 gallons of wash, I stopped. The first 5 gallons were pretty blue, the second much lighter, and the last trash bin had just blue tinged water. The next day, I ran 4 or 5 gallons of filtered water through the system before adding my 4 gallons of 50/50 premix. If you manually push the throttle, coolant will run out quicker. Make sure you add it quicker. As long as you don't let the tank run too low and suck air, no "burping" should be needed. I checked my front radiator, with van elevated, after I finished everything. No air escaped from the vent screw, just pure coolant. Calibrate your hygrometer with 50/50 mix and use that reading to estimate how much you are below your desired 50/50 mix once you're finished.

Philip 91 Carat Mobile, AL

---------- > From: DELGADOAJJ@aol.com > To: prhanlon@DIBBS.NET; vanagon@vanagon.com > Subject: Re: Drain/fill coolant loop w/o burping > Date: Sunday, June 14, 1998 12:08 AM > > Would you mind explaining exactly how to do this? I'm interested in doing > this in lieu of the traditional method. > > Jorge. > 90 Vanagon Multivan