Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Jun 1998 21:29:08 -0300
From:         Tim Smith <smitht@UNB.CA>
Subject:      gas heaters
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hi All,

Unit from '75 on in the bus/van is BA6, 3 foot long sardine tin that fills the space between the frame rails under rear floor. Takes a lot to plumb it all in, but an excellent article on hookup was provided, from LIMBO I think. It was posted to list and should be archived, 6 pages worth. Article starts with a warning about the dangers of poorly installed/running heaters, worth a read before you go much further.

Bentley manual has good trouble shooting section for them, there are a lot of components in the unit. I think in a wasserboxer you have to cut through floor lip just at rear edge of walkthrough for hot air, and cut cold air intake under rear bench? Linking it into the wasser heating system would be unfeasible IMHO. These heaters normally have a large tin belly pan bolted over the frame rails underneath, to keep the elements off them and improve heating.

Older heaters were more compact, BN4, very simple but safe electromechanical beasts, with good shut off safety features. About 7" diam x 20" long. More dangerous type were SmithWarner/SouthWind models, prone to overheat/meltdowns, don't take one.

Ark Mirvis is expensive, very by all accounts. JBHeaters in Castleton??? Colorado also handles VW heaters, I've never dealt with either though, so check. Eberspacher (now 'Espar') is still in business and sells compact modern units called 'Thermo-top' that are very similar to the BN4 models. For $1000US and up! Webasto is another company that sell car/truck heaters, Webasto is mainly water heaters, warms engine and interior, for Artic/semi-truck usage. Costly too, $1400-$2000+. Web search for these two companies, one has a site, other has dealership with site. They were a $1600 option on Canadian Syncros/Westies in '87. About $2400Cdn now (without the parts to install into a vanagon!!)

Finally, check RV World etc for Suburban S-12 unit, as found in EV Winnie's, about $400-600 for full thermostated propane forced air furnaces (NOT just a 10 minute heater like all other VW ones!!) Used units show up. S-12 unit is 12,000 Btus, identical sized unit is S-16 with... yup 16,000Btu. This should be just right, same power as older BN4, which really boots out the heat fast. By my catalog-measuring the S-12/16 will slip into the smallest cupboard by floor/rear bench, exhaust/intake out two 2" holes in sidewall, hot air out across the rear floor. May stick out about 1.5", you'd need to remove that cupboard door, and shift the tilted dividing panel next to the water tank until it's flatter. Need some tin angle brackets to mount it (workshop/warehouse shelving stuff). Wiring and propane are nearby, and most Mom and Pop RV stores will be able to provide spares for this unit, made in USA. We Canadians simply burn wood in a tin bucket in our Westys, much more rustic, kaff-kaff, wheeze. HTH, Bye Tim