Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Jun 1998 21:56:29 -0400
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.YALE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Highway Driving Vanagon Style?
Comments: To: rodavies@FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU, vanagon@vanagon.com

> Question for the group in response to recent (long)trip reports: > > How do you choose your route from point A- point B? > > It seems that many are happy working their power starved VDubs along the > Nations I-ways. This Vanamaniac just hates taking his Syncro Westie on the > interstate.

Sometimes point B is not the most important part of the trip! If it really is maybe you should consider a plane ticket instead. I admit to often taking the expressways, but if I'm driving for a long time I'll often drive off the expressway for at least part of the day on an old parallel road. (The road before the expressway). Or find a shortcut, where a smaller road takes me between two expressways.

Many people plan their vacations going from National/state park A to B to C... etc. I like to stop in the small towns as well. After all the people who live in the area are part of it also. (Which is why I don't like that NPS throws out the original population when an area is made into a national park).

The small roads take you through these small towns with locals and occasionally a real treat (like the best coffe cake you have ever tasted, baked by real hands, not a machine.) If you want to learn to know locals don't forge in on them. Let them come to you instead. One of my favorite tricks is to start fumbling with my outdoor gear (which is old Scandinavian stuff I brought here, not the new neon colored). Hot waxing my old wood skis using the backpacking stove is almost guaranteed to make people curious and come talk to me.

Cheers, Martin -- Martin Jagersand email: jag@cs.yale.edu Computer Science Department jag@cs.rochester.edu Yale University

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------