Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Jun 1998 22:53:36 -0700
From:         Kw <kokopellis@ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Whining Fuel Pump/gas tank anatomy 82 westy
Comments: To: GMBulley@AOL.COM
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Howdy all, In reference to the thread on gas tanks and fuel pump whining, about a year ago I elaborated on what I discovered when I yanked my gas tank and found what appeared to be small rust particles in the fuel filter element. I removed the tank and replaced all my tank seals, gaskets, and expansion tank seals and fuel lines.

The expansion tank seals are located on top of the expansion tank in the wheel well. Now if the seals are bad and you drive in wet conditions some debris and water could be thrown from the spinning wheels and enter through the bad seal into the expansion tank and then from the bottom of the expansion tank into the gas tank. Not good.

On the gas tank itself, there is a small circular low section on the bottom which on the inside is an isolated chamber where all dirt, water and whatever will eventually settle. The fuel outlet is located in this chamber. While I had my tank out I cleaned mine at a car wash with the high pressure jet. Lots of stuff came out. I then had to get a bicycle and pump air into the tank via the fuel outlet to clear the line. I could not blow it clean.

I attempted an ASCII drawings below to show the isolated chamber. The fuel enters the chamber through the center hole. The exterior of the tank above the bottom is not shown.

I still have the whinny fuel pump. I replace filters and the whine restarts shortly thereafter. The gas tank shop suggested welding in a new outlet above that little chamber. maybe that is the next best option unless I find a new tank.

I carry extra filters and can change them in about 15 minutes now but that's not the real problem. I think it is the restricted flow from the tank depriving adequate amounts of gas to the fuel pump causing it to whine. This is a symptom of a plugged filter.

IMHO, FWIW, & HIH CU L8R Ken 82westy slc, ut