Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Jun 1998 07:54:18 -0700
From:         IR Student <irstudent@CSUCHICO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Dometic combustion chamber cleaning
Comments: To: George Nahrebecky <George.Nahrebecky@STMARYS.CA>,
          Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

George, Well when cleaning the chamber there are a few things to keep in mind. It can be a dirty job. A lot of soot will fall out of the burner after you open it. To open the burner take out all of the screws around the bottom lip of the burner. Be careful not to tear the gasket. The gas oriface comming in from the left (viewed from the back of fridge) unscrews like a regular bolt, counterclockwise. You may want to take off the copper gas line before you do this, it might make it a little easier. Then you'll want to take out the spark generator and the thermocouple that are attached on the right side of the burner. They will come out easily. Make sure the electrical connection to the sparker is solid and not fraying. If there is the sparker will short to the outside of the burner and not get inside to ignite the propane. When you take the burner off to clean it you will want to clear out the water drain spout. Using a strong wire or something. You'll want to clean out the intake and exhaust flues also. Now to test everything, put all of it back together except for screwing the bottom of the burner back on. Lean the burner of to the right hand side and try to start the burner. You'll have to make some type of connection to the propane. Get a rubber hose with some type of attachments to make an extention. You can do this stand alone away from the vehicle if you just have a propane tank with a regulator that comes from a BBQ. I did it and it worked great. You'll see what I mean if you take a look at the pictures http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~bhein/fridge/fridge.htm. That is about what size the flame should be when it is wide open. If you have any question just ask. Good Luck.

Blake Heinlein irstudent@csuchico.edu - work account - (530) 898-5623 bhein@ecst.csuchico.edu - student account - (530) 345-7179 http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~bhein/ College of Mechanical Engineering California State University, Chico