Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Jun 1998 10:52:13 -0400
From:         "Forhan, Thomas" <Thomas.Forhan@MAIL.HOUSE.GOV>
Subject:      More 91 Carat cooling, Radiator R+R Question
Comments: To: "vanagon@vanagon.com" <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Went through a bunch of coolant stuff on my friend's overheating Carat Sunday, thanks for all the hints.

We picked it up from his (now former) mechanic and drove it a block to my house. He had just "flushed, filled and bled" the coolant: but we found the overflow tank empty and the expansion tank half full. No visible signs of leaks, so we more-or-less properly bled the system and it took two more quarts of coolant.

I say more-or-less because we could not get the last bit of air out of the expansion tank- the one on the left. Although highly regarded members of the list stated that no - absolutely nada- air should be in that tank, our best efforts at bleeding the system still result in the coolant level about a quarter inch below the filler neck. I also noticed that the expansion tank has a molded in "min" level about a third of the way down the tank. Why would there be a minimum line if that tank is supposed to be completely full? Comments, please!

Still, I do not think the system leaks. Since it cannot be tested, we replaced the expansion tank pressure cap with a new one. A 12 PSI static pressure system check held steady. After two hours of driving and cooling down, the levels in the expansion and overflow tanks did not change so they seem stable.

We also did a cold start system test with zero pressure. The indicator slowly climbed to 8 PSI. This second test seems to indicate that it is unlikely that any cylinder is pumping exhaust gases into the system. Still, I'd like to try testing the coolant with the chemical that changes color in the presence of exhaust gases, but I cannot find it at Trak or Pep Boys, the only places open on Sundays around here. Anybody know what this stuff is called, and where to buy it?

We looked at the fan wiring, and there was quite a bit of home grown wiring done by the owner's (former) mechanic that effectively disconnected the high range of the fan. We undid this and replaced the switch with a new one, since we had it anyway. We then rebled again.

Though we fixed some problems, the temperature indicator still runs about three quarters of the way up the gauge with the fan switching between high and low "on" settings, which suggests to me that it actually is hot and not a gauge error. This is considerable above my temp gauge, which normally runs at the level of the coolant light.

Once school is out this week, his wife and four kids want to take the bus 1000 miles one way to visit grandma. The time pressure to solve this is on. At this stage he wants to simply replace the radiator with a new one.

Of course, the Carat has a/c, and I read in the archives the trick about not disconnecting the a/c heat exchanger, but simply unbolting it from the radiator and suspending it while we drop the radiator. With the two of us never having done replaced a radiator before, aided only by the Bentley, would someone kindly give us an idea how long this might take?

Thanks,

Tom F.