Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Jun 1998 11:37:17 -0700
From:         "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@SCHWENK-LAW.COM>
Subject:      Re: Pre-loading Rear Springs re Syncro Suspension (long)
Comments: To: Derek Drew <drew@INTERPORT.NET>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Derek:

you are too kind for words. My understanding may (or may not) be sophisticated, but it is wrong. Pre-loading changes something, but apparently not the spring rate. There is no question, though, that my suspension is firmer with donuts than it was without, but only in the initial travel of suspension. So, if spring rate did not change, what did? The effect is more than just raising the van.

Fred sent me a flow chart charting the differences spring rate and rebound, but I am still confused. I think Jim davis may have hit on something, too, in p-mail to me....and that is that the spacer compresses the initial softer spring travel in the progressive rate rear springs, and hence this has the effect of changing the spring rate in the initial travel.

Anyway, sorry for the groping and misuse of termonology. But keeping the objective is sight, the issue is what do the spacers do that firms up the suspension if they do not change spring rate? steve