Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Jun 1998 11:05:16 +0200
From:         James Cohen <jscohen@SPRYNET.COM>
Subject:      SA Trip Part III (short)
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Part III

Well, this salesman did not live up to his promises, and I did not get a chance to take really good pics of the Audi motor, or from underneath the car. I guess car salesmen are unreliable all over the world.

I did get some new pics of the engine however, and if they look good I'll upload them.

New Pics:

There were a few new features I didn't notice the first time. One was the sliding rear quarter window...yes the one in the BACK! I got a pic of this.

Also the aircraft interior lights, and the cupholders mounted on the pass front seat base. They also have very cool mudflaps which integrate with the bumpers.

I have standard 35mm photos of all this too, including the engine. But I won't be able to scan them until after I get home next week.

Prices

I got a few so far.

The BullBars (brushguards) are appx $300 for the smaller ones which btw are factory (and hitherto will be refered to as such) the big ones are not sold by VW and I have to track them down.

H4 rectangular light are like $140, MORE than in Germany...I assume they're imported.

I will find out about that really cool sliding window, but I'm sure it ain't cheap. Same for the mud flaps.

JailBars. They have them for the VAnagon. These are the bars on the back window that the old splitties had. I've never seen them in the states, but they're pretty standard here.

Other Busses

I've only seen a few breadloafs and only one split. This place is CRAWLING with Vanagons however.

GAs Tanks

I'm really embarassed about this topic. I can't remember where the gas tank is mounted in US 2wd Vans...With all the work I've done on them, I just seem to draw a blank on where it is! EEEk, I'm senile.

I seem to remember that it's under the front cab. I may be a little delusional however. But here, the tank is under the floor in the back. The very flat tank is protected by skid plates.

So if ours is also under the floor in the back, I apologize for my blankness. (Too many hours sniffing gas fumes I guess)

The End This will will be my last entry before I come back except for any more prices I may find. Unless, of course, I find out something earth shattering. I hope you all have enjoyed it.

Any questions or comments? Email me.

James James Cohen Presently in South Africa. Please cc: all email to my alternate address at: jscohen@aol.com