Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Jun 1998 17:00:48 -0700
From:         "Thomas D. Hanlon" <hanran.inc@INTERNETMCI.COM>
Subject:      Re: heater core change-out
Comments: To: BDOSS24046@AOL.COM, Vanagon <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Brian,

I'd make sure that there is (are) leaks before you act as you indicate and change the cores. The valve in the rear heater is a known failure-prone item. It may be the $2.00 flat washer, or it may be the tendency of the shaft seal to fail on the $55.00 one-of-a-kind valve.. Feel the carpets and sniff the floor for the tell-tale scent of coolant before you act.

Somewhere in the Archives at http://gerry.vanagon.com, there is a caution about bypassing the rear heater with the short length of pipe arrangement. The caveat has to do with cold coolant being introduced into a hot part of the engine. I can't remember the time of the posting, or the specifics of the caution as to "what-when, " but it has been within the past few weeks, or so.

I had to replace the valve on the heater, and I proposed to use your approach. I was warned by a list member of dire consequences. Review the route, in your Bentley or Haynes, of the coolant through the engine, and all will be clear.

As to the "tee, " it has been suggested to me that the VW boxer has enough weak spots in its contrived-to-fit-an-air-cooled-prototype cooling system. Adding a "tee" would be adding another weak spot.

Tom Hanlon Palm Springs, CA 84 Westy