Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Jun 1998 02:41:54 -0700
From:         "Thomas D. Hanlon" <hanran.inc@INTERNETMCI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Idea for A/C and camping-Toyotomi Portable A/C
Comments: To: Bob Bellanca <rbellanca@HOME.COM>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Bob,

I have the Toyotomi 4000 BTU A/C. We use it to cool a single room in an, now, empty nest home in the Southern California Desert. Power rates here are among the highest in the nation., and it is wasteful to cool a complete house at night when only one room is in use.

I purchased the Toyotomi from Damark as a "factory-damaged/rebuilt/scratched" item for about $600. The "damage" was a small, almost unnoticeable-except-to-the-trained-observer. Retail, the price for the 4000 BTU model is somewhat higher, and there is a 7200 BTU for about $1000.

How/where do you vent the A/C in the Westy? How do you mount it/secure it, since it is on wheels? Do you have any insights on use/moorings/location to share with us on the List?

I've looked at a number of Park Service/Forest Service-approved generators in the $400 to $800 range to give us absolute self-sufficiency in the event we opt to use the Toyotomi in an isolated camping situation. In the meantime, before I decide on a generator, I'd either buy, beg or mooch power along the way.

Regards,

Tom Hanlon Palm Springs, CA 84 Westfalia