Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Jun 1998 00:23:20 -0400
From:         Andreas Fenner <Andreas@SCRIPTWEB.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tune up help pleeassseee! and oil light !!
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

---------- From: Andreas Fenner <Andreas@SCRIPTWEB.COM> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Tune up help pleeassseee! Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 23:02:31 -0400

---------- From: The Buslady <Route87@AOL.COM> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM Subject: Tune up help pleeassseee! Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 11:48:40 EDT

Hey my wonderful VanaFriends ! It's about tune up time.... what needs to be done with the average tune up on our late model vannies? Granpa said all I could do is change the plugs and new air filter. Isn't the timing set permanently or something? I know what to do for an air cooled type 1! Not a fancy FI 2.0 wasserbox!

Hey there, here is some advise from a fancy 2.1 Liter guy:

1.plugs, if you want to go fancy follow the postings on the 3-prong bosch - can't hurt anyways replace the spark cables and distributor cap 2.original air and oilfilter 3.change oil to 20-50 synthetic 4.bleed and replace (dot4) brakefluid - you need a helper and a no.7 wrench 5.bleed and flush coolant liquid / replace with the new red stuff 6. check the wiper blades and replace 7.fill up both tanks for wiper fluid 8.Listen to your engine and check the idle, should be 750 to 800 rpm 9.check transmission fluid

here is the computer (digifant), he resets and compensates for wrong settings (e.g. distributor)

two things here to visually inspect (and listen !) fuel injectors and distributor,depending on both the age and mileage of the car consider replacing (distributors wear out...)

By now you have spent app. $150 and two hours and done a great maintenance job ! clean your windshields and windows and polish with Rain-X and take your car for a ride. check whether it heats up and how fast, possibly replace the thermal switch and/ot thermostat. Now you are up to $200 and three hours of fun work and got to know your car much better while extending the engines live and conserving both fuel and environment !

check all the lights and functions, e.g. horn and cigarett lighter, let the car run and check the A/C if it is not running make a decision whether it is of importance to you and have the A/C serviced.

(Now you need to refill the coolant liquid in the expansion tank as the car was running enough)

That sound like a fun sunday project, at least to me,

good luck

Andreas Vanagon GL Wolfsburg, 88 Vanagon GL , 88

Gee, forgot one little thing : check the belts...

I just got back from a very pretty ride to A.C. and back dropping of my Dad at a hotel and while driving I noticed something very funny. I was driving with the A/C on and averaging some 70 mph but neither the damn' oil pressure warning light came on nor the needle of the temperature gauge moved - are my instruments broken - No they aren't I had just changed the thermoswitch. Tommorrow I will do the same to my other GL 88 and I am quiet curious whether that could be the solution to overheating thus poor oilfilm / pressure due to heat and that is exactly what the oil pressure warning light tells us,

anybody there sharing and agreing to my thoughts ?

Andreas Vanagon GL Wolfsburg, 88 Vanagon GL , 88