Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Jun 1998 15:30:46 -0400
From:         Tom Carrington <tcarrington@RELITECH.COM>
Subject:      Re: '82 westy, '91 Fox engine, fuel flow problem
Comments: To: Scott Durrant <sdurrant@AROS.NET>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Scott Durrant wrote: > > I have an '82 Westy that was converted from a Diesel to a '91 Fox engine > prior to my buying it. > > It was from this list I discovered that the loud buzzing from my Fuel pump > was likely related to the small supply outlet in my fuel tank, and that I > should get a fuel tank from an '86 or newer vanagon. It is now time do > this. > > The fuel line runs from the tank through an inline three-module unit > (mounted under the westy located near the sliding door), and from there to > the engine.

This is the standard Golf/Jetta/Fox combination fuel pump, pressure accumulator and filter. Used from mid-1980's and up. Should be plentiful at a dismantler, if nesc.

> My question relates to the three module unit that I believe consists of a > fuel pump, a fuel filter, and a pressure regulator. This whole business > started by a reduced fuel flow problem and I'm guessing that the three > module unit will need to be replaced along with the fuel tank (the westy > ran fine, albeit with an unnecessary buzzing sound, for some time).

I have the same setup on the Westy I am converting to gas. I also have noticed the same problem. I was looking at the Bentley, and I noticed that the Golf had a "transfer" pump from the tank to the chassis mounted (3-component) pump. I decided to simulate this by buying a "universal" low pressure pump from Pep Boys between the tank and the Golf pump. There were several models, and I chose the one with the lowest psi rating. It gets it's power from the same fuel pump relay (just like stock) as the 3-component pump. The main pump runs quiet, but I can now hear the new pump. I'm thinking of rubber-mounting it.

I know this works better because I now get a good flow of fuel on the return line to the tank. I used to get almost none.

I'll post pictures of the setup on my website soon (a few weeks or so)!

Thanks! TomC tcarrington@relitech.com http://www.relitech.com/tomc/tomvw.htm