Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Jun 1998 08:48:29 -0500
From:         Darrell Boehler <midwesty@TAOS.MIDWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: digifant
Comments: To: Derek Drew <drew@INTERPORT.NET>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

--------------------------------- Hi Derek and Volks, You bring up some excellent points, I will try to respond. First to all thanks for the big response, the server (http://taos.midwest.net/vw ) where the digifant tool is posted has been busy and I'm sorry for any waits encountered by fellow volks. >1) Are their any readings which you now have LEDs connected to which might >benefit from being connected to a LCD digital readout rather than the >cruder information one gets from LEDs? Many of the Bentley tests are >numerical information rather than simply on/off information.

The 6 LEDs are used to display all the signals I could find that are displayable with an led. They are, 1 digifant power, 2 start (this alerts the digifant we are turning the key to start), 3 fuel pump power on , 4 throttle position switch , 5 coil minus signal , 6 fuel injector signal . All these signals are from / to and directly driven by the digifant or its inputs. The added load the LEDs put on these signals is very minor. I feel many fellow listees seem to want an lcd display to be able to have the analog signals more readily available than their personal multimeter provides. I am an old technician who trusts and believes in his tools, such as meter, scope , and felt being able to quickly attach them to the digifant tool was very adaquate. Not all of us have the same needs and wants. I havn't thought this over all the way but I think a small built in lcd meter that has available at the flip of a switch , (1) temp 1 sensor , (2) temp 2 sensor , (3) oxygen sensor , (4) afm (air flow meter) wiper , and (5) a probe (for the user to use as needed) would be a desired feature wanted by many. This will add to the cost. I will do some shopping around today. Please let me know your thoughts. > >2) If I elect to have you do one of these, can I send you my spare ECU and >have you do that part too? Yes I would do the digifant ECU and the perfboard digifant tool for you if you like for about $50. Note. So you know I have btdt . I am retired and not looking fro a steady job. My electronics experience began in 1960 USN electronics technicial and then 30 years years and retired from ibm servicing main frame and process controll computers along with their perferial.

Darrell Boehler Makanda Illinois >