Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Jun 1998 11:14:34 -0700
From:         David Bayer <bayer@SYBASE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Question about AVP 1.9 to 2.1
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

>| A customer is asking me about doing the conversion on his '85 Vanagon from the >| 1.9 liter engine to the 2.1 using a rebuild from AVP. They told him something >| about how they somehow change a 1.9 to a 2.1 when they rebuild it (I have >| never heard of this before). If anyone is familiar with this and could give >| me some advice on the subject (like is it an easy swap, does the 1.9 fuel >| injection stuff work, etc.) I would really appreciate it.

The bentley says that all the bottom end stuff on the 1.9 has been superceded to the 2.1 parts when rebuilding. Since the heads are also the same on the 2.1 and the 1.9, I would think you could just exachange the pcs. If they are just going to give you a 2.1L engine in a 2.1 case, you might check Jim Thompson's site on swaping the engines. I don't know if the digijet system will work on the slightly larger displacement engine so I cannot help on what you are going to need to do with the fuel injection. I also cannot help on the quesiton of whether there are external differences between a 2.1L case and a 1.9L case which you might need to look into if you get the 2.1L case and expect to just be able to substitute it for the 1.9L engine...

dave