Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Jun 1998 20:18:52 +0100
From:         Don McCallum <trosgol@ENTERPRISE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Rear diff lock
Comments: To: Randolph Feuerriegel <RFeuerriegel@BC.SYMPATICO.CA>,
          vanagon@vanagon.com

Randolf, here is the info you requested

1. Remove the servo unit. This involves first of all knocking out a 3mm roll pin which locks the servo shaft into the diff lock shaft (you may have a rubber boot which you will have to pull back to do this). Then remove the servo unit from its bracket (2 x M5 screws). Care to pull off straight or you can snap the end of the servo shaft.

2. Check the operation of the servo by operating the dash control. The easiest way to check the servo for leaks is to take it off and suck on the two vacuum pipes!

3. Check the mechanical operation of the diff lock by jacking up both wheels on one side - try to push in the diff lock shaft while turning the wheels. It should go in within about 1/2 turn of the wheel - you will know it is locked because the wheels will no longer turn!

4. Remove the servo mounting bracket, one circlip and 2 x M6 bolts. If the shaft is seized, remove the indicator switch (it just screws out). You will see that the diff lock shaft runs in a steel bush and the plunger on the indicator switch bears on the shaft through a hole in this bush. Removing this switch allows the complete bush/shaft assembly to move in and out and you should be able to get the diff to lock by pushing it in.

5. Free the shaft in the bush by gripping the bush with a pair of vice-grips and turning it backwards and forwards about 1/4 turn while squirting releasing fluid into the indicator switch hole. Push and pull on the shaft while doing this (use an allen key though the 3mm hole in the shaft to get a grip on it). Once it starts to move, things will get easy quickly!

6. Chances are you will damage a 19.7mm x 1.7mm O-ring near the end of the bush on its outer diameter. This can be replaced by pulling out the bush until you can see the groove and slipping the new O-ring into place.

7. Apply lots of grease and re-assemble. Don't forget to line up the hole in the bush so the indicator switch plunger fits back in. If you can find a rubber boot to put over the shaft, so much the better. Its also a good idea to operate the lock on a regular basis to keep it free. Best of luck - you are lucky, the front one is even harder!

Don McCallum (1992 1.6 Turbo Diesel Syncro, North Wales, UK)