Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Jun 1998 20:27:36 -0400
From:         Michael Sullivan <sullivan@OPENMARKET.COM>
Subject:      Re: need help from someone to look at their engine...
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

WOW! that's a TINY hole!!!! Well, I guess I'm gonna have to order it 'cause SEARS sure doesn't have drill bits that small!

BTW, the reason I'm concerned about this little critter is that I suspect I have been collapsing my Syncro fuel tank lately which I believe it is caused by "too much vacuum" somewhere in the system -- I wonder if this could be it?

Thanx!

MJS

At 02:52 PM 6/23/98 -0700, Old Volks Home wrote:

>Try your VW Dealer again.

>025-129-420. It's still available (according to VOA in Troy, MI) and in

>the 6-1-98 price list at $5.25 (!) for a teeny-weeny little piece of metal.

> Looks like the parts guy didn't wanna bother ordering it in my opinion.

>Probably better off making it like you suggested.

>When swapping in a 2.1 in my 84 Westy last year, I didn't encounter this

>piece. Just went to check it just now and apparently I've been running

>without this piece the whole time I've had it on the road. Dunno if it

>means good or bad. Can anyone with knowledge comment?

>See also Pages 24.24 and 24.24a of the Vanagon Bentley. Looks like they

>show a size of .006" or 0.15mm, but they don't indicate if it's ID or OD

>(Probably ID).

>***************************************

>At 04:07 PM 6/23/98 -0400, Michael Sullivan wrote:

>>I am missing a little piece from my fuel evaproative control system called

>a "restrictor" which is a small, 1/2" piece of round metal or plastic rod

>with a small drilled hole in it -- hence the name "restrictor". It is

>located inline with the vacuum hose that comes from the charcoal filter

>valve located in the top-right of the engine compartment as you are looking

>down on the engine.

>>See page 20.16 and 20.33 of the Bentley manual.

>>Well, VW no longer carries this part so I am going to fabricate my own

>from a piece of aluminum rod. Only thing is I don't know how small a hole

>to drill. Could someone measure their's and pmail me with the proper

>dimension???

>>Thanx.

>>Michael J. Sullivan

>*****************************

>Good Luck!

>Jim Thompson

>84 Westy 2.1 * 62 Sedan * 90 Fox Wagon

>Check out our latest cool stuff at:

>http://www.oldvolkshome.com

>NEW! - VDO Products Online Catalog!

>http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ovhvdo.html

>NEW! - Bus/Pickup 68-79 Online Catalog!

>http://www.oldvolkshome.com/bus6879.html

>Check out the Odd, Weird, One of a Kind

>Items For Sale On the "OddBall Page"

>http://www.oldvolkshome.com/oddball.html

>Sherwood Automotive * The Old Volks Home

>PO Box 176 * Palo Cedro, CA 96073-0176

>(530) 221-5342 (Voice or Fax)

>jim@oldvolkshome.com

>jim96003@c-zone.net

<bold>Michael J. Sullivan

</bold><italic>Director of Catalog Design

Open Market, Inc.

</italic>

work: http://www.openmarket.com

play: http://www.hsdesign.com