Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Jun 1998 10:43:50 -0400
From:         Gregg Scharff <scharff@ENG.KNS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Smoked Tailights  Interested??
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

vwmaster@VOLKS-MOTORSPORTS.COM wrote: > > Listees, > > In our area there is a FAD going on. Smoked Tailights.

Kyle and listees,

Sorry, this got a little long-winded...

My intention here is not to ruin an attempt to generate some business.

Tinting of any piece of lighted automotive equipment is not legal in all states. It is generally allowed as "off road equipment". All should be careful to PERMANENTLY darken or tint headlights, tailights, and/or license plates (smoked plexiglass covers), as this reduces your ability to see or be seen. If aftermarket modifications are permanent and you happen to be stopped by the police (if tinted modifications are illegal in your state), he can render your vehicle inoperaple and forbid you to drive it, forcing you to a cab ride home. If they are removable tinted covers you can at least remove them and be on your way. I am not a fan of any of the tinted add-ons. They not only lessen your ability to see at night and in poor conditions, but your ability to be seen. In a dense fog, a slow moving Vanagon needs all the help it can get to be seen up ahead. You West-coasters should be familiar with dense fog conditions. Some of those 20 car pile ups (fog related) we here about from time to time could have benefitted from even "better than stock" tailights or headlights. Even worse than tinted lights are the tinted or even clear license plate protectors. Try reading a uncovered license plate as it speeds down the street and you will find it difficult to read at a distance of 15 feet. Put a tinted cover on it and it is nearly impossible to read. This may not seem important, but read on, especially all of you with children. If anyone you know is ever hit by a car maybe even a child (god forbid!) and a witness has even a fleeting chance of reading the plate of the car as it speeds away, a tinted plate cover (as cool as it looks!!!) stands between you and identifying the car. Even a nontinted plate cover can foil the reading of a plate, as they can cloud over after years of exposure to sunlight, or create a glare. I apologize for this ranting I have just put all of you through. I would like to state that I am not some paranoid old complainer working for "big brother". I am 34 yrs old and I believe in everyones right to privacy or customization of his or her own vehicle. I believe we should all act responsibly towards one another when we feed our own personal needs. Tinted auto accessories do look way cool, but lets not forget there is a price on everything. I usually place Vanagon owners as those who don't place vanity over good smart, safe, common sense. Thank you for your time.

Gregg (Conshohocken, Pa.) '85 Westy