Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Jun 1998 16:01:22 -0700
From:         "harald.nancy" <harald.nancy@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westy Canvas waterproof?
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Roger wrote: > How waterproof is the canvas in my '79 westy? Also, what can I do to make > it optimally waterproof, i.e. any suggestions of spray-on products, etc?

My experience with poptop canvas: Doing a lot of camping in the Pacific N.W., it became a regular habit to waterproof and stainproof the canvas on my westy. When you are out for a week or longer, and drive around during the day with a soaked pop top, it can mold really fast, and deteriorate the fabric. Purists will argue canvas is supposed to absorb water, to close its fibers. That is true. But if you sleep up there with the soaked canvas and rub against it, the moisture will penetrate and make your sleeping bag and whatever else it touches wet. After a few days everything becomes damp and starts to mold. Soon you find yourself with bleach and sponge trying to clean it all up and damaging the canvas even more. Guess it depends on your situation. If you camp in So.Cal. you won't need any canvas protectant. Also if you have a tall garage and camp a few days at a time, the canvas can be dried out. The canvas on my previous 81 westy became so weak from mold and bleach that I became worried it would rip, and I would fall out of the upper bunk.

Imho it is okay to use protectant sprays on the pop top. On my 90 westy, I use simple scotchguard fabric protector they sell in the supermarket. The canvas deteriorates significantly less than on my previous camper without any treatment. The scotchguard makes the rain pearl off the canvas, and will help prevent stains from becoming permanent. 2 cans will cover the canvas. You probably can also use something else, without any harm to the fabric. Most treatments lose their effect after a few seasons. Sorry this got so long. Harald 90 westy.