Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Jun 1998 15:40:00 EDT
From:         db25 <Douglas_M_BENSEN@UMAIL.UMD.EDU>
Subject:      Alternator problem fixed
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

First, thanks for all who replied. The information helps when trying to diagnose a problem. The first thing I did was to make sure I had a good connection with the blue wire, yep, nice and snug. Since I had a spare alternator under the seat I figured now was a good as time as any to install it. All you need are a couple of wreches and fifteen minutes. Everything went smooth. It cranked very slowly, but did start. Checked the voltage at the battery and it was only 11.7 volts. I went back to the alternator and checked the output voltage, 14.1. Hmmmm. Were is the kink in the hose? Word of wisdom. Always look at what someone else has done first. The PO had installed an alarm system many years ago. I was such a poor installation I removed everything that I could soon after her arrival. For some reason they had cut the large red wires coming off of the alternator to add a wires for the alarm, then soldered everything together. The connection always bothered me appearance wise, but it was working, so I left it alone. I guess with the a/c on full blast this morning the current load was too much for the connection, and it melted through. It didn't take long for to drain the battery down with everything running. I'm kind of surprised, but the a/c alone has to draw around 30-40 amps, with two fans and the compressor clutch. Just a guess. Add a fuel pump, life support for the computer, and a radio and she goes down quick. It's a new battery, less than six months old, hope this didn't do too much damage. Another reason to add the second battery. I have all the parts, just no time. (Did I mention I had a six month old?) So all I have to do is scrounge up some wire and connectors and I should make it home after I get a jump. The story has a happy ending.

Thanks to all for your help. Doug