Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Jun 1998 22:37:14 -0500
From:         "Chip & Co." <Shaner@FAMENT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dying Van
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I have an '85 Volvo (I will get to the Vanagon content in a sec.) with the same type of problem. It has a Bosch L-jet ( I think) fuel injection system. I too replaced the fuel pump, worked for a while, fuel filter, didn't help, Air Mass Meter ($225) worked for a while. Initially the only constant I found was the "break" in the electrical. Both with the replacement of the fuel pump and the AMM the circuit was broken and it ran better afterward.

I have also noticed that hotter weather makes it worse. My problem all but dissapears in the winter, but comes back in the summer..

One thing I have found that lasts longer than turning off the key is to disconnect something while the vehicle is running, and then reconnect.. I do the AMM because it is quick and easy.

NOTE: I DO NOT KNOW IF THE ABOVE IS OK TO DO ON A VANAGON BUT IT WORKS ON A VOLVO!!

So, about 2 years ago a listee of the Type2 variety told me he had a similar problem with, guess what?? a Vanagon! Anyway his fix was to replace the temp sender. I have not tried this on my Volvo because the temp sender is in a tight spot and I can live with this problem right now.

Bentley gives a chart on how to test it by comparing it with some data from the air flow senser and coolant temp. pg 24.45 Personally, I don't understand what they are saying to do, but maybe you will or someone else can help replace it.

Hope this helps. -Chip