Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Jun 1998 00:37:42 -0700
From:         "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@SCHWENK-LAW.COM>
Subject:      Re: Pre-loading Rear Springs re Syncro Suspension (long)
Comments: To: kenstich@bewellnet.com
Comments: cc: "Vanagon@VANAGON.COM" <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

kenstich wrote:

> Steven, > > I've annotated your message - hopefully to add clarity. > > Steven X. Schwenk wrote: > > > > You're right...I am going beyond where I need to to make my point, though, which > > is that inserting a donut above the spring does not raise the van per se, it just > > increases spring tension and thus reduces suspension sag. > > NOT true - with the addition of the 'donut', the weight of the vehicle has not > increased, therefore the compressive force on the spring(s) is unchanged, > therefore the spring deflection due to the compressive force is unchanged ==>> > The van rides higher by the thickness of the donut.

Well, we seem to be talking about the same thing, at least. :~) Consider, however, the "compressive force" on the spring before you put weight on it. At that point, with the shock absorber fully extended, it is easier to see that inserting a spacer between the spring and the top spring perch indeed compresses the spring beyond what it would be without the spacer. Moreover, at any given point in the travel of the shock, the spring will be slightly more compressed with the spacer than it was without it. It is this effective lowering of the top spring perch that compresses the spring, not any weight factor.

The space the spring fits into (the distance between the top and bottom spring perches) does not expand to accomidate the spacer. Rather, the rear shock at full extension deterrmines that distance. Adding a spacer does not cause the shock to lengthen more...it is already fully extended. Instead, the spacer decreases the distance between the top and bottom spring perch by the width of the spacer, and thus compresses the spring by the same distance over what it would be at any point of travel/compression without the spacer.

> I suspect that to only > > increase height without also increasing spring tension, you would have to lift > > the vehicle at the point where it attaches to the suspension. > > The point of load bearing from the chassis to the wheels is the spring(s) - > instead of tension, this is actually a compressive load on the spring(s) > > ..I have not thought > > this part through, the comment about extending the shock mounts is the beginning > > of a guess on how to do that and was made prematurely. > > steve > > > > Since the chassis rides higher with donuts installed, depending on the > thickness of the donuts and also the age-related spring deformation (metallic > creep results from loading over time) "sag",

"Sag" is not a deformation, but the amount the suspension compresses by the weight of the vehicle. The suspension is designed to have sag and must to perform properly. Put another way, if you have no sag, your springs are way too stiff and will inhibit the dampening effect of the shocks, among a host of other problems. If you have too little sag, your suspension will be too hard, rebound too quick and traction will be diminished. If you have too little sag, the suspension will be mushy...too bouncy and may even bottom out.

> one may or may not need to > install longer shocks to compensate for the added height. One should measure > to determine the necessity of changing shocks. It is fairly critical that the > suspension stops limit travel - not the shocks!

It would not be advisable to simply put longer shocks on. The trailing arm travel is limited to not much more than the travel of the stock shocks. The geomotry of the trailing arm will also change. The shocks do in fact limit fully-extended travel...which you get only when air borne...or with the wheels off the ground. Unbolt the shock, and the trailing arm drops...nothing else holds it.

> Best Regards, > > Ken Stich > Former Mechanic > BS Mechanical Engineer > MS Aerospace Engineer > 80 Vanagon-L > 57 Vintage Oval Bug

I am beginning to feel like the list heretic on this one ... perhaps about to be burned at the stake for repeating my dissenting mantra over and over ... If I could draw a simple triangle to represent the rear suspension, it would be easy to show what the spacer does and that it does in fact compress...and thus pre-load ... the spring. steve