Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Jun 1998 07:37:05 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <drew@INTERPORT.NET>
Subject:      Digifant dashboard analysis tool you are making
Comments: To: Darrell Boehler <midwesty@taos.midwest.net>
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

At 10:47 PM 6/23/98 -0500, you wrote: >Hi Derek,. > I have found an LCD display that I think will accommodate our needs on >the digifant tool. It will add about $25 and 1 hour of assembly time. The

Boy you are efficient. I have not yet heard that you have a list of all the Bentley FI tests and that you are seeking to include as many of those as possible into your new design. I am so impressed by your project that I am tempted to snail mail you photocopies of these tests, just to make sure you have them all.

>digifant tool could be made in 2 pieces. One containing the LCD display >and leds. A second unit would have digifant pens for metering and >connections / drivers between the digifant and the display unit.

Digifant pens?

> This good looking tool on the dash maybe seems to be a little >more than is necessary for analyzing the digifant. I am old and more or >less set in my ways and don't quite understand the need, but I am game for >some new ideas. I personally could drive around with my leds flashing and >the oxygen sensor output displayed and enjoy it. But I feel few other people >would be so inclined. Maybe you can enlighten me on the this topic. With

If the display were designed to be small enough, it could go into a panel discreetly mounted in the dash, say, in the area above the glovebox or somewhere like that. Then, by pressing a button, one could do all the Bentley tests in just a few seconds. This would be neet from a diagnostic point of view, as at the first time of engine trouble, one might be able to get a diagnosis of the problem in seconds. That first point of engine trouble is usually quite traumatic, and so such a diagnostic tool would be of great value at that time.

Nevertheless, it does indeed seem like overkill to push it to this length for now until we can determine that all the Bentley FI tests are completely covered. I am just saying that I would probably pay an extra $150 to have immediate access to Bentley FI test results in my dash, and I bet others would too. But it is as well to hold off on this for now.

>such a tool as we are now discussing maybe we don't even need probe points. >Just knowing a sensors operating voltage values would be very adequate to >determine if a component needs replaced or is functional. The beauty of >either way is intermittent problems would be a lot easier to analyze.

OK.

> Some food for thought . Something I have on my van is an electric oil >pressure gauge. This gauge uses 2 parts, a pressure sender and the gauge, >and wire connecting them. I have installed extra senders for coolant >pressure and fuel pressure. I have a switch under the dash with which oil , >coolant , or fuel pressure is displayed on the same gauge. It would be >possible to send the same 3 senders to the digifant tool LCD display. This >may seem like an overkill but I can tell you the instant I have a slight >leak in the cooling system. The pressure drops off from the normal 14psi.

ultra neat. I want this too!

>Also the fuel system (pump, pressure regulator ) can be checked with the >flip of a switch. Some day my westy will have more gauges and switches than >a 747 if I live long enough.

I want a 747 Westy too!

> How small do we need to get the dash unit? Maybe it could fit in the >ash tray and pop up when the ash tray is opened. I think it would fit on

very elegant.

>the something the size of the ashtray lid if I worked at it. Please don't >suggest fitting it into the clock space. I would still like to hold the cost >down. There are several young people starting out that are hard up and >always have more than their share of van problems.

The ashtray has a lot to recommend it. I'd prefer someplace else simply because sometimes I use the ashtray hole to mount a TV set and sometimes to mount my laptop for GPS driving. But I think an ashtrap flip-up mount would be awesome. I support this. Alternatively, I could see a flip-down panel to the right of the ciggaratte lighter. Somehow I prefer the latter--it gives you more design room, and there is a lot of storage room behind there to store components.

> My son Tom said the digifant tool response at his site on this was >very heavy, several people have written me directly but there seems to be >very little discussion on the list. Hell I haven't even been flamed good >yet.

I suspect many on the list are watching in admiration. Also, the improved subject line above may bring in a few more viewers. Go to http://taos.midwest.net/vw

I'm still back to wanting to see a maximum correlation between all the Bentley FI tests possible and this tool.