Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Jun 1998 14:17:56 -0500
From:         Darrell Boehler <midwesty@TAOS.MIDWEST.NET>
Subject:      hot digifant
Comments: To: vanagon list to post <vanagon@vanagon.com>

------------------------- Hi volks , Bill Dummit mentioned his digifant was running hot and he was going to install a fan to keep it cool. It seems the more we learn the more questions and problems we get in the middle of. My digifant heat sync seems to run pretty hot also. There is a large metal cover (about 6 inches by 12 inches) around the one on my westy which runs cool. This cover is painted black and the paint appears to be nonconductive paint like it has infinite electrical resistance. Any heat conductive black paint I came across in the past would also conduct electricity. I have experienced heat problems in the past because engineering called for conductive black paint and the manufacturing used regular black paint, less expensive . The electronics were at times short lived due to over heating. I personally am a technician has been , and not an engineer, and am a new comer to the vw scene. However I do know my digifant runs much cooler and my cover runs warmer after I removed the paint from the area the digifant heat sync makes contact with and added some electrical paste that aids in the heat transfer to the black cover. Tia for any comments and information. As a side joke is there a chance we could discuss this on a higher level.

Darrell Boehler Makanda Illinois