Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Jun 1998 22:22:02 -0400
From:         Lawrence Johnson <ljohnson@HALHINET.ON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Safety?
Comments: To: Don Gibbons <dgibbons@PRESRAY.COM>,
          Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Don Gibbons wrote:

> Not completly true on #1. ABS can help you stop faster:

Don, IMHO you're right in most cases.An experienced driver in car with brakes in good shape can achieve what is called "threshold braking". This is the exact point just before the wheels lock up. Unfortunately this point shifts while you are braking (due to heat build up and weight transfer to the front of the vehicle). This is what ABS is trying to achieve with greater and greater sophistication:

> <snip> Most ABS systems are 3 channel and take an average for the rears, some have > 4 channel and do adjustments for each wheel. This allows you to stop not only with > control but also faster. Each wheel does the best that friction will allow.

An experienced driver can still outperform ABS braking (but not ABS with traction control as in F1).

The exceptions where ABS does not stop as quickly are on ice, snow or gravel:

On ice, the wheels lock up all right and the ABS releases the brake but there isn't enough grip to re-spin the wheels. Threshold braking is tricky on ice and is achieved with a very light touch on the brake pedal.

On snow and gravel, the fastest way to stop is to lock up the wheels and keep them locked. The snow or gravel begins to pile up in front of the tire and aids in stopping. ABS won't let the wheels lock up and takes longer to stop. Still I'd rather have ABS in snow or on gravel roads because ABS gives me maneuverability. When you lock up your wheels, you have abandoned all steering control.

Larry