Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Jun 1998 16:47:23 -0230
From:         Philip Menchions <pbj2003@INFONET.ST-JOHNS.NF.CA>
Subject:      Re: "Wolf" bras, roof racks, bike racks, cupholders...
Comments: To: William Ayer <wayer@pobox.com>
Comments: cc: vanagon@VANAGON.com

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, William Ayer wrote:

> I've just joined the ranks of Westy Syncro owners, and I've got few > questions. > > 1) "Wolf Bras" > > Protecting the front end of the truck from rocks / bugs is pretty high on my > list. What brand of "Wolf" bra works best? > > 2) Roof racks and bike racks > > I'm think that I've figured out how to mount a roof rack on a Westy (looks > like a Yakima bolt on rain gutter, and a long bar Thule / Yakima rack). Any > advice on do's / don't when drilling holes in my camper top for the fake > rain gutter would be appreciated. I plan on mounting the rack towards the

> back of the pop top for a roof top box & windsurfers etc.

You're on the right track putting the rack towards the rear. This uses the mechanical advantage to your advantage :) I've seen plenty of Westies in Hatteras camped out, roof popped with the gear still on the rack. With my Thule in a more forward position I have to remove all but a mast or two in order to raise the roof, although I am able to access the front rack by standing on the front wheelwells and the rear one from the bench seat .ie, no need to carry a stepladder.

> > I'd also like to put a bike rack on the nose of my Westy (over a "Wolf" > bra). What brands of bike carriers have people had good luck with? > > 3) Cup holders > > This vehicle screams out for a couple of really good cupholders (which I've > seen in catalogs), but now that I really need one, I can't find them! Does > anyone know where to get a good cup holder that works with the Westy's > dashboard? > I ordered a couple of holders from Herrington's (1-800-622-5221) which I am very pleased with. I have them mounted below the radio on either side of the stickshift. The "teeth" open so you more or less push the container into place in a horizontal fashion. When not in use they fold up flush. the model is # B833 (black vertical) $9.95 each.

> Thanks, > > William > > wayer@pobox.com > '90 Westy Syncro (109K), San Francisco, CA > Sorry for the tardiness of this reply. Hope it's of help.

Phil, '89 Westy