Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Jun 1998 00:00:16 -0400
From:         Jon Hathaway <jonr@EMPIRE.NET>
Subject:      Keyser Pond Camping... (kinda long)
Comments: To: vintagebus@type2.com, vanagon@vanagon.com, type2@type2.com

Just woke up after a sorely needed nap since returning from the LiMBO camping trip here in Central NH...

My apologies to any who get this on the multiple lists, but we had Listees attending from all three...

Guest List in order of my remembering:

John & Wendy Silva in Sea-scape ('85 Westy GL)

Scot & Jane Castle ('65 hardtop Westy, but came in the '91 Golf)

Jon, Marianne, Vicki & Murphy (the beagle) Hathaway ('74 Westy side tent) my '73 Westy is sidelined till I find a pair of matching heads either 1.8L or 2.0L

Scott & Sue Deschenes(sp?) and crew ('74- Westy... sorry I didn't get to visit more...)

Tom Goode ('67 Westy pop-top)

Ron and Lajiri Van Ness and Christine and Auntie ('71 Westy pop-top)

Lloyd Perkins and crew ('85 CrewCab)

Gene and Dawn/Donna Byers (sp?) ('73 Westy pop-top "one owner with optional Vinyl interior)

Bill ? ('74 Westy pop-top)

Adam & Nicole Miller ('74/'76 Adventurewagen)

Jim and daughter from the Poconos ('74- Westy pop-top)

George Taylor ('70 Beetle w/ single wheel trailer)

A couple from Ontario Canada (in a Split window bus, sorry I didn't meet ya'll)

Jim & Deb? Phillips ('55 Westy at the Fairgrounds, but hung w/us till Late <<G>>)

Jim & Barb Digennaro and crew ('83 Westy GTI) stopped by for dinner)

Jim? and friends (saw these folks for just a minute Sunday morning before the show)

The Whites from NY (wannabussers in a AstroVan w/pop-up camper)

Rained like crazy Thursday night (glad I stayed home)

Rained like crazy Friday morning...

I arrived at the campground around noon on Friday, set-up and awaited arrival of my Wife and Daughter...

Hot and Humid!

Left my wife and daughter and niece at the campgounds late that night (had to work for a bit Staurday morning)

Arrived back around noon Saturday (it's raining again...)

Had a good time talking with all the folks and trying to stay dry... finally canceled the mini-golf tourney around 3:30 due to rain... Wendy Silva was SOOOO disappointed... <<G>>

Rain finally tapered off around 4pm, so we started getting things rolling for potluck supper in the middle of the small loop where most of us were parked... That at least was dry... Lots of Food!!

No-one went away hungry, I hope...

Lloyd, Scot, and Jim Phillips entertained us around the campfire till 11:30pm (quiet hours strictly enforced this year <<G>>) and Lots of V-dub talk till the wee hours (around 2am or so)...

Sorry Tom... no case chunks....

Sunday morning I started early (5:55am) as Murphy had to go out (How I love that dog...) folks started moseying around looking for Breakfast and planned for an 8am caravan to NH VW show... Caravan got under way at 9:30 with 5 vehicles...

After I did a quick turn or two in the swap area, I returned to the campground to Visit with Ron Van Ness and his wife while we broke camp finally leaving around 1:30 or so...

Traffic was fairly light in spite of the Indy Car race in nearby Loudon NH (NH International Speedway, just recovering from 75th Anniversary of "Bike Week" in Laconia NH)

Unloaded the cars, sat down for minute and that was it (slept till 10pm <<G>>)

I had a great time in spite of the wet weather and I hope others did likewise... next year will find us in another local campground with cleaner facilities and hopefully fewer obnoxious little gangbanger wannabes...

Take care...

JonR