Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Jun 1998 13:15:18 -0500
From:         Darrell Boehler <midwesty@TAOS.MIDWEST.NET>
Subject:      bosch  digifant
Comments: To: vanagon list to post <vanagon@vanagon.com>

------------------- Hi Volks, I have come across a digifant made by bosch that has the same vw part number as the vw digifant 025 906 022. The bosch unit, with bosch number 0 261 200 065 on it also, has components laid out slightly different. I also notice it has a plugable rom module. The bosch digifant seems to give my 86 westy more low end torque. I have always had good torque above 3k rpm but this unit seems to improve the 1-3k range. I pulled this unit from an 87 California van while junk yarding in the SLO area last month. I rarely drive a vw below 3k so I guess it doesn't matter that much except the bosch unit doesn't stumble or hesitate coming off the line in an easy driving mode. Anyone have any knowledge about different digifants? If the difference is all in the rom it wouldn't be that difficult to pull the rom chip off the vw unit and install a plugable unit with a copy of the one in the bosch unit. This could be slightly illegal. Maybe the California vans run richer than the non California units . Actually both styles seem to use the same mixture according to the oxygen sensor and my digifant tool. Any difference must be primarily in the ignition timing. tia for sharing any knowledge.

Darrell Boehler Makanda Illinois