Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Jun 1998 02:47:53 EDT
From:         Michael Modl <Modl6971@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: HELP! Anthony's oil psi question!!!!
Comments: To: Anthony.Kimmons@CHRON.COM, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

In a message dated 98-06-29 15:46:34 EDT, Anthony.Kimmons@CHRON.COM writes:

<< Rebuilt engine on 87 vanagon (changed head gaskets, rings, all gaskets and hoses, new plugs, wires, cap and rotor) Car will idle fine for about 15 minutes, then oil light will start to flash Everything seems to work and run fine except now my oil light and buzzer goes on at about 2200-2500 rpm and then kicks off above 2500.

Picks up fine and never seems to want to die no matter how long I continue to drive it with the buzzer buzzing, but of course, I never want to drive it very far after it goes on.

Question is... I was not having any oil pressure problems before the rebuild. Should I be concerned about the oil pump? I am planning on changing the sensors and want to install an oil pressure guage. Oil level is normal, no leaks.

Car will idle fine for about 15 minutes, then oil light will start to flash.

Anyone with suggestions? Thanks in advance... >> Make sure that the oil pressure switch by the crank is the .9 bar switch, and the one in the right cynlinder head is the .15 switch. With a hot motor the oil pressure has to be above 1.0 bar at 2000 RPM or higher, normal oil psi at 2000 RPM is 1.8 bar. If you have correct oil psi, replace the .9 switch. The easy check of the .15 switch is to dissable your ignition ( unplug the connector on the side of the distributor ), turn on your ingnition, the oil light should be frashing, crank the motor, in only a few seconds the oil light should stop flashing,,,,,,,,,, .15 bar of oil pressure is all that is needed to turn off that light, wich is very little, so cranking alone will build up enough oil pressure, turning it off. If everything is OK, then the control unit inside your instrument cluster is screwed up. Good luck, Michael Modl 87 syncro.