Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Jun 1998 01:08:14 -0600
From:         kenstich <kenstich@BEWELLNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Leaking gas - 2
Comments: To: "Vanagon@VANAGON.COM" <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Louise - Marcus,

Just dropped my tank (80 Vanagon-L) for this same problem - I'd fill up and had gas just pour out of the tank - now Louise - you're saying that it is leaking from the seam, but I expect that its one of the seals on top of the tank (3-rubber grommets for vent lines - the sending unit o-ring and the filler neck grommet) or the fuel line connecting the expansion tank semi-rigid tubes to the tank. I expect that the fuel is running down and exiting from the seam area where is rests against the frame. With a small mirror and strong flashlight, you can see the top of the tank by looking through the wheel well - angling the mirror - etc. Fill it up & take a look.

The rubber seals on my 80 were gummy/dry rotted/fuel-degraded, but my Vanagon is 18 years old - I also needed a fuel sender - so, I replaced all seals, rubber fuel line and the filler neck seal - about $20 for seals, $2 for fuel line and $40 for the sender from bus depot (included o-ring seal). Its amazing how many leak paths there are in this design - and fuel is not nice to rubber over time - leakage from the seam is not impossible, but far less likely than a seal. Also - all rubber fuel lines need to be replaced in the 10yr time frame as the ends dry-rot and split IMHO - Seen too many fryed VW's due to bad fuel lines. If you end up with a gas tank seal job, its a good time to check/replace the rubber lines as well.

If you have either the Bentley or Haynes manual, there's a fairly good diagram of the fuel system/tank interconnections in both books.

Regards,

Ken Stich 80 Vanagon-L 85 Prelude Si 57 Beetle

marcus wrote: > > I thing your leaking from the sending unit gasket.If it only leaks if the tank > is full this is your problem. Drive van until very low on gas and drop tank and > replace sending unit gasket. THTM = This happen to me > > LAC wrote: > > > Greetings Volks. > > > > Gas tank was leaking yesterday....... after having parked horizontally on a > > rather steep incline for the entire day....and after having filled the tank > > that morning.......Leaking from side flange seam. ......on an Extremely hot > > day (102 degrees in shade)......What is the remedy? Should I be driving > > this? > > > > TIA.! > > > > Louise > > 89 Westy "Box of Rain" > > 72 Westy "The Villa"