Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Jun 1998 09:29:46 -0400
From:         David Katsuki <katsuki@BBN.COM>
Subject:      Re: CV joint bolts
Comments: To: Eric Henning <henning@FP.COM>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Eric,

To reduce van shaking, try putting the jack in on the drivers side and jacking up just enought to touch the ground (need to make sure the van doesn't get un-leveled by this, 'cause it will interfere with sleeping and be bad for the fridge). I found this out by accident when I couldn't find a completely level place to park in a campground and had to level the van a little with the jack.

Dave

At 10:10 PM 6/26/98 -0400, Eric Henning wrote: >I was checking my CV joint in prep for a long 4th of July trip. Every >6 mm hex head bolt came out great with the exception of one on each >joint. stripped hex. anything special about these? can i just get the >appropriate lenght/thread, 6 mm hex head bolt from the FLAPS? Any >danger to over-torqueing these CV joint bolts? Also other than clicking >noise what happens when the CV's go bad, vibration, grinding to a halt? >Every now and then I hear a slight ticking noise from one of the wheels >but it goes away. I swapped/ reversed axels as somewhat preventative >maintenance and will pick up some spare CV's to bring along. > >Went on our first family shakedown camp-out this past week-end. Kids >loved it but falling asleep was tough as when one of us (2 parents, 2 >kids, 6 & 8) moved the whole van would shake. Gotta get a side or rear >tent. lightning bug show was surreal. never saw so many, so bright, >way up in the trees, all over. kids were mesmerized. > >will be heading up to Rhode Island from Philadelphia along I95 July 2. >so if you see a >maroon 80 westy with a bunch of bikes and a peace sign in the back, give >us a wave. if you see us on the side of the road, give us a hand >(please) or at least an encouraging word. > > >This will be the first "real" excursion for my van. > >thanks > >eric 80 westy >henning@fp.com >