Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Jun 1998 15:53:34 -0500
From:         Ken Hooper <bighouse@TYPE2.COM>
Subject:      Re: ZOINKS!  Itsy bitsy Spark Plug pieces dancing in my engine?
Comments: To: SkyCruizer@aol.com, vanagon@vanagon.com, type2@type2.com

>So, is there an EASY way to get this "Itsy bitsy piece o'plug outta my engine? >While "Dancing" around in dance hall #2 what kinda damage did it do.

I would think from the fact that you lost power that it might be stuck to a valve seat. I have no idea how you can get it out without pulling the head except fishing with a magnet (that sounds so futile that I don't even think I'd try it).

Joe F. had a jet come loose, travel down the intake manifold and into the cylinder through the intake valve and bounce around in there for a while. Caused rough running. Chewed up the piston & head surfaces a little but once he got it out he buttoned it back up and it's run fine ever since. This seems to be a rather common occurence with the stock Solex carbs. I don't see how an electrode is big enough to cause much trouble but I don't know how tight things are in there.

>Also, I'm not using my regular computer so don't have the address for the "New >and Improved REALLY COOL Archives" here.

I can't link to it from the main page until Stephen gives me permission. It's here:

http://www.i405.com/vwarchive/

--Ken type2.com webmaster C ommittee A gainst A utomotive R adiators "Let's stop phosphate poisoning before it starts."