Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Jun 1998 19:29:57 EDT
From:         kenneth d lewis <kdlewis@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: ZOINKS!  Itsy bitsy Spark Plug pieces dancing in my engine?
Comments: To: SkyCruizer@AOL.COM
Comments: cc: Vanagon@vanagon.com

Don; What a BUMMER! The first thing I would try is to determine whether the bit is jammed or free to move and be moved. If it is free (or can be freed) I would rotate the crank by hand until the exhaust valve is open and the intake valve is closed. Then , with compressed air, I would try and persuade the party casher to "dance" somewhere else like maybe the cat house.You dig man? Drive Safely & Good Luck Ken Lewis<Kernersville,NC>

On Tue, 30 Jun 1998 15:33:00 EDT Don Griffin <SkyCruizer@AOL.COM> writes: >Hey there Guys and Gals, > >Well, I have a 2.0 AC stock 80 Vanagon Custom Camper that all of a >sudden lost >power and is making this funny noise (like high pitched squeak that >goes along >with rpms). So, get home (not very far) and turn her off and go to >the garage >to get out my of my tools to check out all the simple stuff like >vacuum hoses, >coil, points, fuel lines, blah, blah, blah... OK! time to pull and >check plugs >and run a compression check. "Alrighty Then"#3,#4 little dirty but no >wear so >I'll clean and regap til payday I'm thinkin. Then I'll do total tune >up >replace plugs, cap, rotor, and so on. > >Pull #2 and "Zoinks! Woah MAN! Looks kinda funky..." The SIDE >ELECTRODE is >missing! > >OK! So that explains loss of power, funny noise and "The meaning of >the >Universe" Well, not totally. > >Here are the ??????'s: >So, is there an EASY way to get this "Itsy bitsy piece o'plug outta my >engine? >While "Dancing" around in dance hall #2 what kinda damage did it do. >Are my "Dance Hall Days" over :...( ??? >Any advice?--- Other than, "Oh, yeah... Ya might wanna replace that >plug..." >Shougo > HELP! > >If anyone is curious, the plugs are "Bosch Super RO 271's" I've used >"Bosch" >since I started driving and never had this happen. I know they last >forever >but I usually just regap them one time before I replace them but now >I'm >starting to wonder... Does the regapping weaken the side electrode? >Yes, I'm >doing it properly I'm not banging it on the driveway to adjust the >gap. Dad >taught me right. He was a "Dub" man himself. BTW, these plugs where >only >gapped when new so they haven't been bent repeatedly. > >Also, I'm not using my regular computer so don't have the address for >the "New >and Improved REALLY COOL Archives" here. If someone would be so kind >as to >supply me with that I would be eternally greatful...(I'll even GROVEL >it need >be) > >Well, thanks in advance for any advice and PITTY you al" send my way. >

_____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]