Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Jun 1998 23:06:15 -0600
From:         Bill <BILLV2@PRODIGY.NET>
Subject:      Sliding Side Window Lock Repair
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Well, the fun is over for now, but I had a good time replacing my side window on the sliding door (sarcastic).

The problem was the window would not lock anymore. The aluminum inside rail notches were all rounded over, so you could slide the window open easy just by lightly sliding it without pushing down on the latch.

Anyway, I didn't want to bother fixing/replacing that inside slide rail cause I figured it would be a big hassle. I received a complete sliding window unit from another listmember that told me that it came out of another 85 GL. When I went to put this "new" unit in, I found it to be ONE INCH wider than my original 85 GL. Could this be possible?

So I didn't take a big loss on this, I ended up rebuilding my original sliding window frame. Since I was replacing my original frame with the new one, I didn't take care in removing it, so I had to rebend it back into shape. Luckily that aluminum inside rail with the notches in it were the identical size.

I went ahead a retinted the windows, cleaned, filed, straightened, and painted the frame. Inserted a new plastic chrome molding into the rubber seal. Assembled the thing back together with clear RTV and prayer.

My window now LOCKS perfectly. On another note, since the window guides had to be replaced.....They are no longer available for 85 and older vans, however you can use (281 847 723 B) guides made for 86 and newer. You have to do a little trimming, but it works great.

The next time I plan on removing/replacing one of my side windows, I will measure it FIRST!

Bill '85 GL [*Magic*Bus*] Big Sky Country <><